Another Which Bike Advice Question

joeninety

Hi Everyone,

I used to ride trials as a youth back in the 80's, had a Fantic 200 back then with the 156cc engine. Been wanting to get back into trials and been looking around at bikes. Have seen a nice Beta Evo 300 4T that is fairly local to me but I'm concerned it maybe a little over powered for me getting back into the sport. Size wise I'm about 5'7 tall and weigh about 12 stone. I'm wondering if I would be better of with a smaller engined machine, even a 125cc as some of the lads in the local club do amazing rides on 125's. I know the 4T will be more lazy than say a 300cc 2T and coming from the south coast where mud rules the lazy 4T on the face of it seems ideal but what about a 125cc 2T?

I know there will be replies saying try and ride the machine I'm interested in, which I will try and do but in the mean time just wanted to gauge peoples opionions on this...

Cheers,

Gary.

Best getting a older bike to see if you going to like and stick with trials because last thing you want is an amazing bike and not wanting to ride it they lose money so quick. I am upgrading from a beta tr 34 125 which is for sale now. It only cost a few 100 so it didn't matter if I crashed it plus it wasn't to nippy and easy to control . My advice is go old and cheap and get a 2 stroke

Btw getting an old bike will benefit you

If you want to have a look at my beta give me a email or something

Good luck

Edited by paul_stuart

Just to throw a bit more info into the mix. I too read all the people saying something along the lines of "anything over 250 is gonna be too powerful to learn on".

I'm 22, 5'11" and weigh about 13 stone. I used to ride scramblers around a field when I was about 10. Rode my dads gas gas once or twice when I was about 15 and since then haven't riden a bike at all.

I bought a 270cc Beta Rev 3 last month and have had about 16 hours on it (a few weekends) and I am now tackling waist high logs etc reasonably easily. I can't say I've ever thought it was too powerful to handle at all in that time 'nor that I've been out of my depth.

Go ahead and get a bigger bike I'd say :)

Thanks for all the replies. I think smalley is right about the cost of maintenance on a older bike probably being about the same a the depreciation on something newer. Until this Evo came up I was looking at a around 2005 bikes but never really found too much local being on the south coast..

Cheers,

Gary.