Montesa 315r Beginner Bike?

pludmugger

Great bikes.

I've ridden a 97/99/2000/2001/2002/2003 and I owned a 98...the only one I didn't like, as it was too snappy, was the 99 .It could have been the way the owner had personally set it up but it was a coow!

There is one local to me. Year2000 with rainbow forks!!!!. Looks very very tidy.

Not sure about the forks as they feel clunky. The guy is a top bloke. He says its movement of the caliper. Didnt have time to xheck it out.

He also had 2 twin shock fantics, a 125 and a 175 both minarelli engines. 125 was £725, the 175 was£859 and the Monty was £1200.

Fair orice or not?

Price is in the ballpark if the bike is tip top.

Check both wheels for wobble (bearings), put it on a stand and lift the rear wheel - any up/down slop there and you're into linkages and dog bones. Any side to side and it'll be swingarm bearings. Round the front, grab the forks at the bottom and tug - any play there is likely to be head bearings. If you're rocking the bike back and forth with the front brake on to hear/feel that clunk, it's likely to be the disc moving on it's rivets. This is completely normal, don't worry. A blob of silicon sealant on each one shuts it up if you can't bear the noise (like me...).

These are all very common issues and nothing to fret about, but should be reflected in the price.

Just for reference, I paid £1000 for an '01 about 4 years ago. But it needed all the work I've listed above doing to it. Probably cost me another £300ish.

Wide footpegs are a nice upgrade if you do decide to jump in.