Bar Ends

keychange

This might appear as a silly question - but in 40 years I have never used bar ends on any of my trial, trail or road bikes.

I understand that open ends can be a safety issue and as I would like to start competing I believe blocking the ends is a requirement. So I purchased some Hebo bar ends with the intention of fitting them to my TLR200 and Cota 247. However, I really don't have a clue what to do - do they go on the bars then place the grips on top of them or do they go on the outside of the grips ie: cut a hole in the grips....

One thing I do know is the Hebo units are too small for my bars although I can probably pad them with some old tube rubber.

Sharp edges ... If your rubber grips are complete/ok then in europe you have no problem,, when your bike has fallen over a few times the bar ends get exposed as the rubber breaks /cuts/tears...you can then trim the rubber grip and fit a bar stop end. of course you can fit new grips..trim them & fit bar ends if you want. Some opinion is that (and I recall Jack Aeibi one day years ago in the SSDT falling off and smashing the throttle tube resulting a dodgy 10 mile ride to replace it) it is best to fit stop ends to protect the throttle tube.

Andrew I think the rules for Australian Trials have moved away from having to plug the bar ends. I think we have moved to line up with the rest of the world and the requirement is that the ends of the bars are either plugged or covered by the grips - so if the end is ripped off the grip, it will not pass scrutineering without the end of the bars being plugged.

As for the sizing issue, bars come in different internal diameter and so do bar end plugs.

As the previous writer pointed out, it can reduce the risk of throttle tube damage if that side has a bar end plug that protects the throttle tube.

Another complication to this issue is that there are also bar end masses made to change the natural resonant frequency of the handlebars (for road bikes). These look a lot like bar plugs and these are sometimes sold alongside the types of bar ends that are made to protect the grip/tube on our dirt bikes.

I use a home made plastic internal plug on the left end (very light) and either a home-made internal plastic plug, or a protective aluminium end cap on the throttle end.

Some throttle tubes require a hole drilled through the end to fit the plug through.

Yes you have to cut a hole in the end of the grip if you use external protective caps

Edited by feetupfun

Thanks David, a comprehensive answer as always ;) Given my propensity to fall I will fit these and see how they go. I guess I should always keep a spare set of grips. My Monty still has a nice pair of OEM grips fitted so hopefully the bar ends will extend their life.

If the bar ends are to small for the bar do what i did and hit the bit that makes them expand a bit further in the the bar end.

They work a bit like a wallplug by expanding in the gap so if you hit the bit that makes them expand (the bit that is inside the bar that tappers) with a hammer gently before you put them in your forcing it to be a bit larger than what they would be reguarly.

I have fat bars and i have made them to fit fine by doing this, reguarly they are not ment to fit atall.

You can get special renthal grips that are called bar end grips so you dont have to cut your grips and make a mess of them.

Also some throttle tubes e.g. some dominos have a selead end on them so you have have to cut the end off the throttle tube with a hacksaw.

Edited by benwall

Buy Domino grips, the end part is much thicker than renthal and will stand a number of impacts before ripping.

I had bar ends on at the six days a couple of years ago, the trouble is after a couple of days grit and water gets in the gap between the plug and the end of the throttle tube and you have to keep cleaning it so I went back to domino grips.