Dog Bone Bearings And Swing Arm Bearings....any Cheaper Alternative!?

fur_pig

Hey guys,

I bought an 09 beta evo and it had a cracked swingarm. The new one came w/o bearings and when I was tearing it all apart, the bearings in the dog bones are like powder.

I have to replace the dog bone bearings, seals, swing arm bearings and seals and am shocked at how expensive OEM parts are, as it is totaling up into over 200 dollars.

Does anyone know of a better alternative?

I replaced the linkage bearings on my 4RT with bushes with stainless steel sleeves. Been in there for nearly a year (about 100 hours riding) in all riding conditions (dry, wet, mud, sand) with no apparent wear issues. Even if I replace the bushes every year at (I'm guessing) less than $15 for a set, I am onto a winner. http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/37205-4rt-linkage-bushes/page__hl__%2Blinkage+%2Bbearings__fromsearch__1 Made by a local engineer who rides, I believe he does them for EVOs as well. Andrew

Edit: Just checked his website. Not a lot listed there (so contact if interested) but does non-rust stainless steel EVO swingarm bushes ...

http://www.blaymiresengineering.co.nz/page3.php

Edited by stkman

My experience is there is no cheap way. Get the real deal once and then clean/grease once a year and they will last a lot longer.

That's what I did for four years ... greasing every 4-6 months, then let maintenance slip and bearings dies. The plastic bushes are surprising;y good. No issues after nearly a year with no maintenance. Initial cost similar or a bit less, replacement cost of plastic bushes if I decide to replace (not required yet) very low. Best of all, I don't ride worrying if the water I am riding through will get into the bearings. The setup may not be the best technically but it is a great solution for me,

Andrew

Another option is bronze bushes with grease fittings. I have done this successfully on Gas Gas and Sherco. There were no seals and the concept was that the grease would push out water and dirt. Here are a couple of work in process pics. (They have not been cleaned up yet.) On Sherco, there was enough clearance on the front to thread from the front rather than the bottom and use a regular 90 degree nipple type fitting. This shows a needle type grease fitting.

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg