Gunson 77111 Spark Plug Cleaner - Advice

brucey

Looking at my increasing collection of Cub spark plugs that have virtually no wear (less than 8 hours use) but have been removed because they are 'sooted' up, I decided to take the plunge and invest in a Spark Plug Cleaner.

Basically it is a mini bead blaster that plugs into a compressor air line.

Before you respond, I am also taking steps to resolve my dirty plug habit!

I note that the cleaning medium is cast iron balls rather than sand (silicon) and have ordered a spare bag as I have no idea how long it will last.

Does anyone have any experience using one of these devices and/or any tips? (not spark plug tips!)

If not, I'll let you know how I get on. These tools seem well suited for trials bike applications where wear isn't the issue although I do have a reputation for rash impulse buying things I don't really need (my wife has banned me from Aldi!).

Bruce.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar thing years ago, but used fine silica grit and an electric impeller arrangement instead of air, ran off a car battery. Worked a treat, sadly it got nicked and I couldn't find a replacement, good luck with yours. Dave

They do clean the plugs ok.............but the grit can stay in the plug trapped in the tapered cone between insulator & the metal body of the plug so do air line clean very carefully.

Better though to get it running right.

Edited by trialsrfun

Blimey that takes me back 30 yrs, i had a silica based one on the bench and used to clean a selection of plugs before each Trial - 2 for each pocket if memory serves me right, so there was equal weight distribution in my TT Leathers jacket :chairfall: