315 Rear Wheel Rim And Footpegs

bg1965

So I finally have some time on my hands to start giving my recently purchased 315 the once over. The first couple of things to jump out at me are the buckled and dented rear rim and the downward pointing footpegs.

What is the best way to rectify the rear wheel? Can I get a replacement rim and just get it respoked? It looks like it would be a pretty easy job to do with the split spokes and flanged rim. Would it be more cost effective to source a second hand rear wheel.

The footpegs are sloping down due to wear in the pivot holes on both the peg and the bracket. I was thinking of welding up the holes a bit and then re-drilling for the pin but wondered if this was a long term solution or if anyone knew of a better alternative.

I am fairly handy with the tools and would prefer repair rather than replacement due to costs. Any tips would be appreciated.

You do see the odd 315 breaking on Ebay. I'd say it's the easiest cure and it's bound to be the cheaper option.

I replaced pegs and brackets when I got my bike, I found the narrow stock pegs hurt my feet, as well as annoying me because they drooped. I went for some posh Raptor pegs. The OEM brackets are very ordinary mild steel things, very easily bent. There are aftermarket brackets out there but I have no experience of them personally - I used OEM ones not knowing any different at the time. I don't recall them being massively expensive though, so there's no reason for you not to mod yours and see how you go.

Not sure on rear wheel

I have in the past either welded holes in the footrest brackets and redrilled or increased the holes up to 10mm and used larger bolts.

Std hangers are not that expensive and often appear second hand

I always weld a small fillet underneath the brackets and find they are much stronger that way.

A blob of weld on the mating face of the footrest will rasie it up above the horizontal.

As Manofsteele says, ditch the stock pegs, and tart up the hangers ,, ive just replaced mine, with some steel s3 hard rocks,

they might not be super tough, but i dont ride loads of rock sections, well worth the money (loads more comfort + control)

• Like 1

As Manofsteele says, ditch the stock pegs, and tart up the hangers ,, ive just replaced mine, with some steel s3 hard rocks,

they might not be super tough, but i dont ride loads of rock sections, well worth the money (loads more comfort + control)

Do the s3's bolt straight on, or does tarting up the hangers mean a little fabrication is needed, as per Jimmy's post?

Yes, said wheel is now winging its way to me. Unfortunately thats the fettling budget out of the window for now so its out with the welder and the S3s will have to wait a while.

Out for a bit of practice tomorrow so I best get out into the garage and sort out the front brake. I may have some questions on that later...