No Stop ?

paul_stuart

Hi Paul.

The short answer is 5... but that's only part of the story.

You could Google ACU Handbook, and look for the trails section. Here's the section that deals with Non-Stop.

I cut and pasted it so the formatting may be all over the place... :madnoel:

PS - who'd be an observer...its easier to qualify as a lawyer... :chairfall:

204 TRIALS AUTO CYCLE UNION HANDBOOK 2012

B. NON-STOP (SOLO &SIDECAR)

0 Clean

1 Footing once

2 Footing twice

3 Footing more than twice

5 Failure

5 When requested by a rider rather than attempt the section

5 Entering a section before being called upon to do so by an official

10 Not attempting a section when called upon to do so by an Official

10 For missing a section or failing to have punch card marked.

Graded Hills. Where a Section is to be termed a ‘Graded Hill’ a notice to that effect must be displayed at the Section Begins, and the following shall apply: – Numbered boards must be placed at defined places along the Section, in order that a rider’s performance may be determined. Marks will be lost in a decreasing manner from 5 to 0 depending on the distance a rider can traverse the Section without failure. The front wheel spindle is the part of the machine to be used in assessing the distance traversed.

0 Clean

1 Reaching or passing the “1 Board” without Failure.

2 Reaching or passing the “2 Board” without Failure.

3 Reaching or passing the “3 Board” without Failure.

5 Failure to reach the “3 Board”.

5 When requested by a rider rather than attempt the section

10 Not attempting a Section when called upon to do so by an Official

10 For missing a section or failing to have punch card marked.

DEFINITIONS.

Clean: A rider traversing a Section as defined above without penalty as described under FOOTING or FAILURE shall be unpenalised and given a “CLEAN”.

Footing: Footing will be considered to have occurred if any part of the rider’s body or any part of the machine, (with the exception of the tyres or the sump shield) touches the ground or the rider benefit from any part of their body, or any part of the machine, (with the exception of the tyres or the sump shield) leaning on an obstacle (tree, wall etc.),

Footing outside the lateral limits of a Section does not constitute a failure but should simply be classed as footing.

Failure: A failure is considered to have occurred if: –

a) Solo

(i) The machine ceases to move in a forward direction.

(ii) The rider dismounts from the machine. Dismount will be deemed to have occurred when both of the rider’s feet are on the ground at the same side of the machine.

(B) Sidecar

(i) The machine ceases to move in a forward direction.

(ii) The rider dismounts from the machine. Dismount will be deemed to have occurred when both of the rider’s feet are on the ground at the same side of the machine.

(iii) The passenger foots i.e. if any part of the passenger’s body touches the ground, or benefit is gained from any part of his body leaning on an obstacle (tree, wall etc.).

The following apply to solo or sidecar:

c) A machine does not stay within the intended limits of the section and within each marker.

d) If any wheel of the machine crosses any boundary tape or marker whether the wheel be on the ground or airborne before the front wheel spindle passes the “Section ends” sign.

e) The rider or passenger is held responsible for displacing a marker or support in an observed section whereby the observer considers it necessary to reinstate the flag /marker prior to the passage of the next rider

The displacing of a marking not relating to the competitor’s route will be considered to warrant a penalty. The rider or passenger is held responsible for displacing a flag, marker or support in an observed section etc.

f) Travelling in a forward direction against the direction of the Section.

g) The machine, or rider or passenger receives outside assistance.

h) A rider or person having an interest in a rider’s performance, who in any way alters the severity of a section without the authority of an official.

Personally i love them, they are so much fun to ride. We always try find a graded hill if possible, they seem to go down well with the riders and you usually get at least 1 good comedic moment during the day.

• 2 weeks later...

The rules say ¨a failure has occurred if the machine ceases to move in a forward direction¨.

However, when watching the British Championship videos I noticed that most riders do stop for a fraction of a second, hoping the rear/front wheel, setting up for an obstacle, etc. How long do you have to stop to incur a 5 in real competition ?

just to provide some balance i have noticed in the wtc videos a lot of riders reverse a small amount when setting up for the next obstacle. how much is allowed before a five should be awarded ?

Trials as a sport doesnt work at present at many levels if the rules are applied strictly, yes i realise thats daft but its true nonetheless. Look at a selection of SSDT / BTC /WTC videos, riders are consistently either slightly going backwards at wtc or pausing / stopping in BTC or SSDT.

If everybody is happy with this and we decide that sensibly the rider is given a margin to allow for human error by either the rider or the observer that may be a sensible way forward. I wouldnt like to estimate my score if rules were applied strictly at the trials I ride, i'd have an awful lot of fives as would many others. The alternative seems to be that we as a sport have to start recognising that we cant actually ride current sections to our rules.

The current attempt to run btc no stop has I think been valuable as its demonstrated that under either set of rules a clerk of the course can make a trial too hard as they were last year and last weekend by the looks of things or too easy as it was at the opening BTC. To be fair the opening round being easier was appropriate in my view to allow everybody to adjust to a new (old) system.

As others have said we maybe need to move the debate away from rules and onto an acceptable level of severity that can be consistently observed ?

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 2