Need Some Rear Wheel Advice

mrkartoom

Anyone seen a rim cracked like this? Looks like fatigue to me, but I'm no expert. You guys offer up any suggestions on how to deal with it?

I'm not sure if it's worth fixing or getting a new rim. A new wheel would look nice, but not sure I want to put that much money into this thing at this age. Thanks for any ideas.

betarearwheel.jpg

Edited by mrkartoom

Is that another crack just below it ?

Yes it is.

When I got the bike the front rim had about 12 of those little cracks at the outside edge of the rim like this, but many a good bit bigger than this one. This appears to be the only one like this on the rear.

Rim in the bin I'm afraid. How old is the bike? It must have seen a fair bit of action for it to be fatigue.

Easier to source a spare wheel from breakers to keep cost down. Remeber though you may still have value in the hub and associated components?

Ebay session I reckon.

Rim in the bin I'm afraid. How old is the bike? It must have seen a fair bit of action for it to be fatigue.

Easier to source a spare wheel from breakers to keep cost down. Remeber though you may still have value in the hub and associated components?

Ebay session I reckon.

It's a 2003. From the shape of the front wheel I'd say it took a fair amount of beating before I got it. I've had it about 3-4 seasons now and it's seen little use and no abuse.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by "source a spare wheel from breakers". Can you clarify?

I have a dealer getting me prices on a rim and spoke set. He agrees it is best to scrap it. The hub does look to be fine though.

Thanks

Try getting a second hand one from people breaking up similar bikes that may have had other reasons for no further part in the world as a complete trials bike?

It would be a nasty bodge but may get another ride out of it but use liquid metal/araldite to support the cracks? You see if Lumiweld (Google it) or ally welding would work.

Try getting a second hand one from people breaking up similar bikes that may have had other reasons for no further part in the world as a complete trials bike?

It would be a nasty bodge but may get another ride out of it but use liquid metal/araldite to support the cracks? You see if Lumiweld (Google it) or ally welding would work.

That makes sense. There is a national trials event next weekend close to where I live, so that may be a good opportunity to ask around about a used wheel. So far I'm not finding much over here.

In the meantime, I took a dremel tool and cleaned out a little cavity along the length of the crack and filled it with a liquid metal product similar to the stuff you mentioned. We'll give it 24 hours and see if it holds pressure. If it gets me by until I can get a proper replacement I'll be happy.