Another What New Bike Topic I'm Afraid

hoggyf

All being well I'm gonna change my bike shortly and just want a quick heads up on what to avoid, currently got a Gasser and like it, mates got a Mont 315 and its nice but a little heavier so I kinda know what they're about (bullet proof?? lol) so any advice on what years or problems the following are prone to? Budgets probably around £1200 ish

Beta Rev 3 - stators I know about - any years to sidestep?

Sherco - don't know much about but they look nice!!

Scorpa - Anything with the Yam engine is good as far as I know

Gas Gas, early pro's were problems I think??

I'm a crap rider so the performance side of it doesn't bother me, I'll learn to adapt I'm sure, just don't want to buy a lemon.

Cheers

Yeah I know what you mean, I was just wanting a bit of a heads up on specific models to steer clear of or known problems (i.e. the Beta Stators) or the "try to get the 02 onwards as they are....." etc

1997 JTX 250 - nothing specific wrong with it, just fancy something a bit newer, so I can't blame my riding on it - lol - also can be a bit hard to get bits to bling it up a bit more.

After a while you just want something else I suppose, probably be better spending the money on riding it more often.

Go for the Beta.

Stator re wind is only £80 including P&P.

Re shock re build with gas seals etc is on £80.00 including P&P (Andy Dawson). He does not bodge it and add a schrader valve. He rebuilds the whole job proper.

Get those two issues sorted (if they are an issue) and you will have a long lived, reliable, awesome and tough bike.

• Like 1

Well the only suggestion so far has been the Beta (cheers Pindie) so all the others must be crap - lol - and yes it will be buying on condition rather than age etc but did hope there might be some pearls of wisdom on which models to step past.

Swing a leg over a few different steeds,that will narrow it down a bit for you,after all they do ride differently with regards to your body size and riding preference.

There's an ex-TC member who was/is Beta mad and he mentioned that not all Rev 3 stators and rear shocks can be re-built ,you needed to buy a 'gen' only replacement ££...I think?

Bearing in mind how low the actual mileages' are for our trials bikes, they are not very reliable in the scheme of things.

The motocross or road biking world not stand (pun? :rotfl: ) for the sort of faults that we tolerate.

Here's the relative list that I think you're pushing for?:

(Remember that for every one bike with one of these faults there are a dozen(?) or so owners who say ''that's BS, it's never failed/happened on my bike''.

Gasser Pros (early):

Swing arm breakages,airbox leaks,middle box attachment and loose baffles,fuel tanks crack,gearbox frailties.

Shercos;

Swishy main bearings,stator failures,frame cracks at headstock,rear shock failures,silencer can't be serviced ....easily.

Betas :

Stator/electrical failures,leaking carbs/rear shocks, crankcase internal corrosion.

Montesa (315);

Dragging clutch,carburation/knock issues.

Scorpa

Chain guides made of cheese,steering stem cracks,TYZ engine (robust but) costly spares (availability?) non re-packable exhaust and the very worst thing of all..their owners :o , I reckon they don't believe in getting out of the bath to go to the toilet.

There we go,as Mel Brookes once said: 'There's something in there to offend everyone'.

I'll get me coat :unsure:

Wayne

Edited by ham2
  • Like 1

I'd always say Beta 'cos I got one.

Did have a Raga Pro before and it hurt my pocket badly. The common faults on the Beta have been repaired at reasonable cost (bearing in mind it 6 years old now and first problem!).

I love it and all is easily stripped, replaced and put back together. Nowt weird, parts available and no frailties....

If you are shopping on a shoestring budget, I would say Beta as well having just been thru the same situation.

'Modern' bike wise I have only had a Montesa 315R to compare, they are not as bombproof (rear end rebuilt can be costly) as many would say but to be fair they are all old now, but I would say they feel, to me, a little lardy and low tech now.

I simply adore gassers have had a few EC-200 enduros and NEVER EVER had a single issue with any on them....on competitions and Wales river drowning trips hare and hounds, if you cut my leg off it says Gas Gas Gerona...but sadly the trials bikes don't seem to 'do the miles' too well when getting a bit 'leggy', as we say in the car trade. Fantastic new no doubt, but used, maybe not, there will be a minter out there but you may have to kiss a lot of frogs?

.....a cheap Beta Rev 3 still seems to be a good choice, solid built bike, easy and reasonable parts and seem to be in better fettle when shopping at the cheap end....engine and boxes seem to go for ever, even when tired, stator issues are not as common as maybe talked about but fixable, corroded cases, hmm well this can effect a lot of poorly bikes even with ali cases if tap water is used for coolant.

One word of caution....I would ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS buy a bike that has been used competively, the rider will be maintaining it, no one likes a DNF after paying for entry fees and travelling miles.....those green lane, fun bike use only bikes are usually shi**ers that have never seen a spanner for years, run on Honmebase lawnmower oil, with zip tied fenders, air filters so dirty they may be of interest to a biologist and gearbox oil like oxtail soup.

Ohh, so ask about service history, what's been done and by whom before travelling, if the guy says, "yes full service history, I looks after her better than my baby....she even had a new plug in 2009" you know it ain't worth starting the van and wasting the diesel!

Dare I say it a dealer trade in should be a safer way to go also, a good dealer will only sell a 'cheapie' if it's sound and don't want the comebacks on a low margin sale.

I have a car sales and the cheapies get the same care as the newer stuff, if not more, as it's liability to my name and I hate phone calls about broken cars!

note....theres a few stolen bikes out there, many innocently being sold on, do check numbers are present....and more a few with ground off frame numbers! I always buy a road registered bike, this way I can do a HPI check to ensure the isn't recorded as stolen, has unpaid finance against it etc.

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 2

Cheers for that, some good advice, which is mostly obvious, but not always considered about offroad bikes.

Got an email this morning (my bikes up for £850.00 ) offering me a 110cc pitbike and £250.00

I answered with "LMAO - must be a hell of a pitbike to be worth £600.00"

he responds with "so - do yo want to do a deal"

Sarcasm is lost on some people - I had to be clear and answer "NO - not really"

Cheered me right up this morning - lol

My experience is always take full wonga. Not part ex unless you know the specific vehicle and it is a dead cert.

It never works out out the new owners favour as they always have to "do up" the px machine.

Sell - cash - find - buy - enjoy