Best Oil For Gas Gas Pro

cwill83247

At the end of the day people will use what they are happy with and what beet suits there bike! No two clutches are the same. Me personally would keep the ATF in my auto boxes and cars steering racks! My opinion. Do your own tests and find the best oil for you and which works best in your bike. Don't let anyone say there is a wrong or write oil, as you can see everyone uses different oils so there can't be a write or wrong.

• 1 year later...

Same here used ATF in my 05 raga had to strip & clean clutch plates.I now use Motul 300v recomended by Al (the spanner)Winter,after he rebuilt my bottom end so if its good enough for him thats all i needed to know :thumbup:

What grade?

My gasgas 300 racing 2012 had ATF in it, which made the clutch not only drag, but snappy as hell, very little progression.

I drained it out, and refilled with 75w light motorcycle gear oil.

Since then, the clutch doesnt drag, engages sweetly, and seems to run quieter at the bottom end.

Regardless of folk saying ATF is great, my experience with it is, i wont EVER use it as a gearbox oil again. I mean, its designed to be a pressure fluid in powersteering units and automatic boxes, and has a third of the lubricity of proper gear oil.

I know which one id reccomend!

Cheers... its amazing the difference in oil recommendations there are out there, mostly direct from the factory :)

Anyway, I guess it's just a bit of personal trial and error, no pun intended :)

Cheers

I would not use ATF either DII or DIII in a motorcycle transmission, It may give decent clutch action but it is very thin when hot and does not give smooth changes. Auto gearboxes for which ATF is designed are permanently engaged epicyclic, which is very different from a motorcycle gearbox.

I would use an oil specially designed for motorcycle wet clutch transmissions, either 10w-40, or 75wt gear oil or something like one of the putoline recommended gear oils. Yamalube 10w-40 gives good gearchange and clutch action at a good price.

I would not use 10w-40 synthetic intended for car engines, Some brands do dissolve the clutch plate adhesive on GasGas.

• Like 1

I had some real issues with clutchdrag with my bike (280 pro -2008) and after i tested ATF and changed the master cylinder at the same time and the drag was gone (just testing it on my backyard) , but when i tested it in rinding conditions the clutch was just like on/off, no feeling at all, so im going back to test some other oil and see if i get a better feel in the clutch.

I've heard that ATF type fluid is fine for Trials type riding but not for longer trail rides that much of us are doing. For that from what i've read you want to use 5w30 as razorback mentioned. I've also heard that they don't recommend synthetic but I gust the cases of synth 5w30 from costco and change it pretty frequently. I rode my 12 raga very hard and did a few really long and intense hare and hounds on it and to this day the tranny is smooth and clutch perfect.... just sold it and am waiting for the 14 to come in mid -july....YEE-HAW!!

So I've been running ATF DIII for a month now, with absolutely no issues... I've dropped it and cleaned everything, now trying Motul 300v Light Gear Oil 75w for a month and see if I can notice any comparison... from an initial quick blat up and down the road, clutch feels smoother not as snatchy on/off like but there seems to be a bit more drag than before... But will wait to appraise it properly when I get out for a proper ride later this week...

Thanks to all so far for opinions suggestions.

• Like 1

Use what ever works for you. The real oils lubricate better, ATF causes less friction and should be changed often. (400 cc`s is not expensive to change) Usually in the Pro motor, clutch drag is from other issues. Proper clutch plate measurement is key to it working correctly.