Back Box's

b40rt

(No, not that sort)

Any information on the modifications that quite a few SWM's seem to sport ?

Are they all home grown, or is someone making them.

What are the advantages ?

The following picture is from the "CampoCanavese2012" (thanks Mike)

post-6674-0-16185600-1341005743_thumb.jpg

Ross

(Dannilo Galeazzi's bike)

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1

If I can remember correctly, the SWM backbox is similar to the Sherpa clubfoot and is part baffled inside. If so, what they've probably done is remove the baffles and replace them with a straight through tube and packing, like they do with the Sherpa.

Unless you're really serious and want to ring every last rev out of the engine, it's not going to be worth the work. The standard system works well on the SWM if it is in good order. They have a great sound when the system has been repacked.

(No, not that sort)

Any information on the modifications that quite a few SWM's seem to sport ?

Are they all home grown, or is someone making them.

What are the advantages ?

The following picture is from the "CampoCanavese2012" (thanks Mike)

post-6674-0-16185600-1341005743_thumb.jpg

Ross

(Dannilo Galeazzi's bike)

hi,

the bike was built with the specs he wanted, these are words of Danilo himself!

by the way, the back box on the bike is simply one of a Garelli 320 and the "inside" could be quite the same to a Jumbo 350 silencer, it should expell the gasses better than the twin end silencer with a bit more noise

cheers

Thanks woody & zisko62, I have a spare box and was toying with the idea as I have to open it anyway to fix loose baffles.

zisko62, any idea of other modifications to the bike ?

Think its a late frame judging by the footrest position ?

(Are those Gas Girlings, I never particularly liked them.)

Cheers

Ross

Woody, I repack the front box fairly regularly, anything to be done to the back one ?

Edited by b40rt

Memory is a bit hazy but it is part baffle and part tube / packing, so if you're handy with the welder it's worth cutting the back off and checking the condition inside. If you're going that far you may as well replace the insides with a tube from front to back with a single outlet.

Welding them back up is the hardest job for me, I can only use a mig and it's too easy to blow holes in the thin metal. I have to 'spot' it all the way around. I hate the job....

The Jumbo is a standard Jumbo frame - doesn't look so nice in silver. The last 240/320 bikes used this frame as well and they're quite rare. They are a sharp handling bike with quick steering and light on the front - especially the 350.

Ross.

The front triangle section has the baffle and fibreglass packing in. The square part of the silencer has 2 baffle plates one with the hole at the top the other at the bottom. Unless the plates are loose and rattling, there's no point in cutting all of it open just the front section. I prefer to burn the carbon out ....think I described how to do this on here before .

Re aftermarket silencers, the MadDog units that Kev Nolan uses and Dave Dawson had on his bike are straight through units. They rev great, but loose bottom end performance. I had Daves bike in over Christmas for a motor rebuild and tried the MadDog unit back to back with a standard silencer and found the stock one was better (in my opinion)

Cheers

Martin

Hi,

don't forget Danilo was one of the works riders until the end of the SWM trials history. He didn't like the power delivery of the big 350cc engine and pushed hard to have the 320 engine in the Jumbo frame, on this side the bike seems to be very standard, although rumors of the past told about a different steering angle of the works bikes.

Danilo, as well as Bernie Schreiber, found that Girlings work very well on the SWM frames and always fitted those shocks on the bikes.

Should have somewhere a picture of the inside of the end box, if you want I can send them to you

Cheers

Zisko