Stupid Question About Fuel

dom1f

My Sherco 250 manual says I should use Super Unleaded, which I have so far.

But money is tight and I have a good few litres of ordinary unleaded in a can from my last trackday.

If I use that in my trials bike will it be OK?

Numpty question I know, but I am new to this lark.

My Sherco 250 manual says I should use Super Unleaded, which I have so far.

But money is tight and I have a good few litres of ordinary unleaded in a can from my last trackday.

If I use that in my trials bike will it be OK?

Numpty question I know, but I am new to this lark.

I agree with telecat, just don't load the engine too much and you should be o.k. Don't waste the fuel but don't run the bike in competition as the Super Unleaded recc is good advice as you need the octane under "normal" severe circumstances, which is what the engine is designed for. Easy practice and you should be fine.

Jon

Buy some octane booster.

I find some standard branded fuel is "OK", but I have had engines pinking very badly on unbranded stuff, even when ridden gently.

Best running seems to be on BP ultimate.

Cheers

I run vintage bikes as well tey are all four strokes They do not like low grade modern fuel so I add valve master plus to all fuel.This also ends up in the Bultaco and Beta I just add the oil before filling the two strokes Any surplus end up in the older bikes

ps there has beeen a debate in the VMCC mag fora long time about the ethanol added to fuel super unleaded in most area do not seem to have it added.

Edited by naichuff

It'll run fine on 95 UL but just not as nice and crisp. Bearing in mind modern fuels "go off" the benefit of the top end fuels is only valid for about a week. After this it's performance margin trails off.

Try to buy your fuels from a busy petrol station that does not have fuel sitting around for weeks.

It is all a bit silly really but I think it does make a very small difference in feel to my 200. It is not silky smooth when using naff fuels and oils. If you run race grade UL it is a totally different story but cost is way too much.

Pinkie the reason for higher octane is simply to decrease detonation

There is a lot of mis understanding about fuels, the big oil guys want people to think premium is a better because they make more profit on it, they put more detergents and crap in it to make it sound more important but in the end you are just buying less fuel and more chemicals

Your engine will make its best power on the lowest octane fuel you can run without getting abnormal combustion (most often detonation), it will run cleaner and produce less carbon buildup

This is easily proven on a dyno, if you put 100 octane in an engine that will run without detonation on the cheep stuff you will get a lot of unburned hydrocarbons and lower power output

The other way to describe it would be your engine works best on the most volatile fuel you can burn in it, not the least

And you are spot on with the "light ends" evaporating rapidly, much of this stuff is designed for easy startup and lower emissions but it does go off quickly if it's not stored in a non vented steel container at cool temps

• Like 1

LOL, sorry my spell correct changed your name to Pinkie and I didn't even notice

Ya fuel is such a load of crap, most of the fuel we buy is just a chemical mix and the fuel companies don't even have to tell us what we are buying! All they need to say is the alcohol content if it is over 10% (in Canada)

The best joke is that most fuel stations here only have 2 tanks but sell 3 grades of fuel...... So both the 87 and the 89 come from the same tank, even the ones with 3 tanks get filled by a truck with only 2 tanks, Hmmmmm.....

A fuel truck driver turned me onto that one

Just signed up to this and you guys sound as if you know what you are talking about.

Can you help a COMPLETE novice?

I have just started and have a scherco 2.9 and am having real problems with starting it, it was bought from a dealer and seams in good nick ?

I am non-mechanical at the mo but keen to learn.

Any helpers?

Thanks

Well I would start with a second opinion, find an experienced Sherco guy and have him start your bike for you

This would eliminate errors in your starting procedure

If he tells you the bike is unusual then it could be as simple as replacing the spark plug and setting the air screw

Does the bike have fresh fuel?

I'd always start by replacing the plug, drain the tank (put it in the mower) and then drain the carb.

Turn off fuel tap after carb draining and re fill tank with a fresh fuel mix. Turn on fuel, pull choke lever and kick. If it's still a no go then 0007 is the next thing to try.

Where are you based Steve h?