Clutch On Tr280I

kbtrials

Hi,

Im running an Ossa 2011 with an update clutch (internals) to 2012 specs. First of all I love the bike - it is amazing in every aspect except for the clutch engagement in my opinion.

To me it seems the clutch is engaging at different positions ( a millimeter or two in or out) this occurs the first time used after heavy use ie revving and shooting off. One could say it bites slightly better after a hard use. Bike has less than 20 hrs on it - will it get better or should I consider bleeding the system, changing the clutch lever oil reservoir to a bigger size? Or just plainly used it hard to see if it beds in better?

Thanks in advance, K.

How long since you changed the oil, and which oil are you using?

I've found the best stuff to be GRO 75W - We're finding it needs changing about every 5hrs - as the bikes bed in we maybe able to run the oil a little longer but its definitely dirty enough to warrant changing at 5hrs at this point in time anyway.

Different oil seems to make a big change in the clutch feel, as does fresh oil. I find the clutch starting to drag a bit once the oil is around 5hrs old.

• Like 1

Ok, Thanks. Oil is around 4 hrs so I will do a change and look for improvement. Oil has been changed 6 times over the last 18hrs though...

Back in the day we used "red" automatic gearbox oil in our Fantic's 50cc which made the clutch both engage with bite and produce no drag. Anyone tried something similar on the Ossa?? Don't want to fiddle around too much though....

Ok, Thanks. Oil is around 4 hrs so I will do a change and look for improvement. Oil has been changed 6 times over the last 18hrs though...

Back in the day we used "red" automatic gearbox oil in our Fantic's 50cc which made the clutch both engage with bite and produce no drag. Anyone tried something similar on the Ossa?? Don't want to fiddle around too much though....

Don't use ATF in your Ossa. The gear box oil is also lubricating the main bearings - even more good reason to keep it clean.

Canada280i - the Belray gear saver was next oil on my list to try but the GRO 75W solved the "cold drag" issue I was having so I'm happy to stick with that. I presume you're using the Belray 75w? As such I'm sure you'll have similar results.

why should you need to change oil after 10 hours ?

that's two competitions and practice, ... the Ossa lubes gearbox, clutch and main crank bearings...it's time,

sure you can get away with 20-30 hours, that's not for me nor what I recommend.

yeah so does the oil in a gas gas pro. Borus have you got shares in GRO ? cant see why oil is going off and effecting clutch after 5 hours per above posts. Do you think it may be reacting to clutch plate material ?

not much money to be made by having shares in GRO and recommending Maxima.........which is what Borus said was a good choice.

fair point but why is it necessary to change so often ? some people dont like using atf in trials motors but it worked fine in the gas gas for me. no slip or drag and i was changing oil a lot less frequently. might work well in the ossa ?

why should you need to change oil after 10 hours ?

Our bikes are still relativey new and we're doing oil changes 4-5 hours. The oil is dirty at that stage, the clutch is also starting to drag a little.

The engine design on the ossa is such that the gearbox oil is lubricating the main bearings, I understand this is why they can run at such a lean oil to fuel ratio 110:1

Do you really want bits of worn clutch material in the main bearings of your engine?

As the bikes get more hours on them the oil in theory would stay cleaner for longer, I can't see us getting more than 10hrs out of the oil though.

I noted on the 2013 specs that the clutch is updated, I've asked my dealer for an "update" kit to improve clutch feel and bite.

From 2013 launch text,

- Improved clutch, for better and softer feel:

· Larger diameter of oil channel on clutch cover

· Thicker hose.

- New clutch discs: new friction material and longer lasting

Anybody who know more in detail what the "larger diameter of oil channel on clutch cover" stands for and if this can be achieved by modding the "old" cover?

Thanks