Tame And Maintain The Beast!

sparky8181

Hi guys,

just bought a 2006 rev-3 270 as my first bike, I have never ridden any kind of motorbike before and was absolutly shocked by what this can do with a tiny flick of the wrist, basicly it through me straight off the back and smashed into the van of the fella who was selling it (see post in general forum)

So anyway my q's are,

Slow action throttle - Does it make much difference? Is there anything else that I could do to make the bike a little more learner friendly?

Maintenance - I have no idea where to start, I kinda thought that I would hose it down after each session and take it in for a service once a year for a service, the fella who sold it laughed and started telling me of all the things that need doing after each ride or after a couple of rides and it sounds quite a lot,

What is your routine for the bike before and after each ride?

What oils do you use and how often?

What fuel mix? He told me 80ml of oil in 5L of fuel but I worked it out from the spec found on tinternet that it should be more like 150ml in 5L, any thoughts?

And what other routine maintenance do you carry out and at what intervals?

Where can I find instructions/diagrams to follow these procedures? I use E60.net as a car forum and they have a 'how to DIY' section, is there any thing like that for trials?

Any help would be appreciated

first of all you are in the best trials forums already, some questions that are asked frequently for specific bikes are pinned at the top of the forums eg Beta clutch fix is at the top of the Beta forum, other than that you ask the questions and somebody will help you.

so 80ml to five litres is about right, use a good quality two stroke like Putoline, Ipone, Rock oil not standard supermarket two stroke. Check that the oil is for pre mix not an injector system.

Slow action throttle is a must if this is your first bike, a 270 is not a beginners bike. Take the right side plastic engine case off and see if it still has the flywheel weight fitted. If its been removed there will just be two threaded holes where it used to be, you should place an ad to buy one as better riders take them off but your just starting out so it will help you.

Gearbox oil change every couple of months and use PJ1 clutch tuner, Beta owners might be able to recommend somthing else but thats what I used last time I had one.

regular maintenance oil chain & check tension, check disc pads, try and shake wheels from side to side to check bearings, remove and clean the carb and air filter. Check nuts and bolts are tight and controls work properly.

thats enough to be getting on with for now, go ride it and tell us how you get on.

• Like 1

Don't be freaked by maintaining it yourself. A few decent tools and allow your self time it is like a big lego kit really. All the advice you could ever want is to be found on here.

My regime for my 200 Rev 3 is thus.

Pre ride

1. Check tyre pressures.

2. Check nuts and bolts.

3. Oil chain (chain lube or just gear oil dribbled on lightly works fine).

4. Mix up fresh fuel for your ride. I mix 3ltrs of Shell Vpower or Tesco 99 with 16ml oil per litre of petrol. Use any fully synthetic quality oil. Putoline strawberry stuff is as good as any and easily used.

Post ride

1. Wash & dry - I ride up the road and hop about for two mins and use the brakes to dry off.

2. If dirty clean air filter. I have three so one is always clean and oiled ready to go on.

3. Make sure fuels turned off!

4. If its been a very wet ride I now remove the plastic engine cover and leave it off till the next ride to dry any moisture out of the stator.

Every 2-3 months (depending on use. I ride weekly for 3-6 hours)

1. Change gear box oil if using ATF. Iuse Nano trans which is expensive but it lasts a long time in your gearbox wihtout "going off".

2. Check wheel bearings, brake pads etc

3. Remove throttle tube and clean bar and tube and put back together dry.

Every year (or sooner if lots of wet riding)

1. Strip and grease swingarm bushes and suspension joints.

2. Check all nooks and crannies for signs of damage like cracking welds etc.

3. Treat carb to a proper clean with an airline.

4. Bleed brakes and clutch.

This is probably more than most bikes get but I don't tend to get breakdowns either. The rest is set up tweaks that you can mess about forever doing. Its the fun of trials! One hours riding = 30 mins of tinkering over a beer.

Take it steady for the first few months and see if you can ride with some more experienced riders around to teach you the basics like lever set up and suspension.

Look at the on line trials technique vids on You Tube (Ryan Young) and this will also help.

Practice low speed tight (on full lock) turns. Riding over a telgraph pole sized log or rock and generally get the feel for how it all works. If still too much get a 200!

Enjoy!

Edited by pindie
  • Like 1

For me part of the pleasure in owning and riding a bike is the maintenance.

Others may disagree, but taking a bike in for a service sort of misses the point of bikes... if your bike stops in a remote part of the world, you need to be able to fix it for yourself if possible. If you service the bike yourself, you get to understand it, and it gives you a better understanding of things mechanical.

You need to develop a feel for things and that means getting a set of tools and getting your hands dirty. (It washes off eventually) :hl:

Also, when washing the bike, use soapy water and a brush. I wouldn't let a power washer within a mile of my bike. It gets the mud off, and also the paint, and if it gets where it shouldn't, it washes all the grease and lubricants out from where they should be. Its up to you, but I wouldn't.

Good luck!

Edited by stecks
  • Like 1

See above. You will get a lot of support on this forum. For the most part everybody encourages new riders as it helps the industry.

I've introduced 3 riders to the sport in the last 12 months. 1 has bought a bike. Another guy is looking and the 3rd crashed in such a heap trying to do as they do on telly that my bike still bares the scars and he has a limp.

Enjoy.

Where abouts are you situated?

• Like 1

If you fancy driving down to Newport, South Wales I am happy to show you my practice ground and pass on my limited techniques. It would get you started.

I have two places to go. One has rocks, slopes and open ground or a woodland with mud, roots, streams and hills.

I'm two hours from you but if you had a day set aside you would get four solid hours riding and travelling included and be home for tea and cakes!

• Like 1

If you fancy driving down to Newport, South Wales I am happy to show you my practice ground and pass on my limited techniques. It would get you started.

I have two places to go. One has rocks, slopes and open ground or a woodland with mud, roots, streams and hills.

I'm two hours from you but if you had a day set aside you would get four solid hours riding and travelling included and be home for tea and cakes!

Sounds good, I would really appreciate that,

let me know next time your out and I will try and tag along

Thanks