N00B Question(S) Of The Day

richie_wheels

I apologise in advance! I am new to the sport.

*Do I need to mix 2 stroke with my fuel? its a 2003 Gas Gas 280. or is it ok to just use normal fuel on its own.

*Also can anyone point me in the direction of new brake pads (front & rear) for such a bike too?

thanks

Yes you must mix 2 stroke oil with your fuel.

Use a 5 litre plastic fuel can, fill with unleaded and add oil then give it a shake.

Best to check but I think your model runs at 50:1 ratio that is 100ml oil in 5 litres petrol.

Later models (Pro) can run a more lean 75:1 ratio is 67ml oil to 5 litres.

Brake pads manufacturers; Galfer, Dunlopad (DP), EBC. are all good.

I would take your old ones to the shop to be sure of the correct shape/size.

I apologise in advance! I am new to the sport.

*Do I need to mix 2 stroke with my fuel? its a 2003 Gas Gas 280. or is it ok to just use normal fuel on its own.

*Also can anyone point me in the direction of new brake pads (front & rear) for such a bike too?

2a164203.jpg

thanks

We may want to find out exactly what year your bike really is. From the photo, I can see that you have the 3-piece lower fork legs, which, to my knowledge, were last used on the 2000 year model (2001 and up are one piece type). If you look on the frame front, between the fork clamps, you will see a series of letters and numbers, starting with "VTRGG". Let me know what they are and I'll try to give you the exact year and model.

Jon

If it works well and your first bike do not panic! Just enjoy it.

From the photos it looks fairly tidy to me. Just make sure you use good quality two stroke oil in the petrol and light gear oil or ATF in the gearbox (change GBox after about 20 hours riding or now if you don't know when last done).

You can learn the basics on this bike then still sell on when you're ready to change. An older good condition bike can be better than a newer worn out bike.

Welcome to the trials world!

Agreed. If the bike is as tidy as it looks in the picture, being a few years older doesn't make it worth any less. If it also turns out to be a 250 and not a 280 then that won't be a bad thing either.

Although you may have been 'had' and no one likes that, it looks fine.

Tidy and functional is what you need when starting out, for the price you won't be too worried about wrecking it (I am sure you will). I had a 2010 250 that got nicked and just replaced it with an 04 there are some things I find easier to do on this than on the newer one. so a lot depends on personal preference.

For the price you've not done bad but I agree the description was wrong. You can pay a lot more for worse,

Hope you feel better for this, now get out with the rest of us and throw it at rocks LOL

Ride and enjoy. If it works for you then great. With the second hand market you get bikes which have been set up right and feel great or ones set up badly and feel horrible. This is good as it is only settings and you will be amazed at what can be adjusted to improve things as your technique improves - or not if your like the rest of us! You can still fiddle anyway.

• Like 1