Tr280I Massive Smoke

henrik

Hi

My friends Ossa TR280i started to smoke real bad and was running poor when trying to accelerate. It was perfekt on idle, but as soon as the engine got some resistance it started to smoke and was misfiring. The smoke was white/greyish. New sparkplug did not make a difference.

The cylinder head gasquet is ok, and the radiator coolant level is also ok.

When i say smoke real bad, i mean enough to get waterbombed by a fire department helicopter.

I can only think of two things, something electric, maybe with the fuel injection or perhaps the gearbox oil is entering the cylinder somehow. But the oil level seems to be ok as well. Its a 2 month old year 2012 bike.

Any thoughts?

• 5 months later...

yes, there are two seals on the removable crank cover which is behind the stator. The crank shaft bearing is between the two. Your inside seal is leaking. When the bike blows a lot of smoke both seals have gone. A simple check on the tightness of the crank cover screws is also recommended. Red lock tight the screws. cheers

all good but he's loosing crank oil and that with large smoke is the crank plate seals. Its about a 45 min job, flywheel and stator come off, pull the crank plate and replace seals. its handy to have the correct tool to pull the plate. cheers