Rigid Trials Bsa

madmostin

I'm in a fortunate position where I have a rigid pre unit frame and a 350 goldstar engine and gearbox. This is at the planning stage and would appreciate any suggestions.

Also is it worth it? I could sell the lot and get a b40 special.

I'm in the midlands and will attend a bmca trial to see what's occurring.

Get on and do it ! There are not enough rigids being ridden,every extra one helps.That alloy motor is a real treat,I missed out on a genuine ZB32 Alloy because my next door neighbour didnt think I'd pay the money for it.... I would have,happily.

A distant relative has recenty given me a 1946 B31 to do up in trials/trail trim - its a few projects down the line,but will get done.They make a good bike,but like yours the frame will need some chopping around to get more ground clearance and to get it to steer.

You could always do a B40 as well. :thumbup:

Spoke to a trials rider today who has two rigid BSA trials bikes. He's given me a few tips on using the single downtube frame. I'm gonna have to see if I've (my Dad) a trials gearbox anywhere as I've been told that's what's needed but it does limit clutch options using BSA main shaft. Will get some pics up on here to generate some interest.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The works rigid BSA Gold Star trials models actually used the frame identified as B32R, normally recognised as the racing frame, it had a slightly steeper steering head angle.

The inevitable problem was the ground clearance, particularly when the section dropped down over an edge or lip, and Arthur Lampkin, for example, sorted this by getting an extra pair of fork stanchions, cutting a length off the top of each exactly one and a quarter inches long, then cutting a thread in the lower outside of the extensions. They were then screwed into the original stanchions, thus extending them by the extra inch and a quarter. Arthur explained that he made the extensions for the top because that section was still clamped between the upper and lower steering head lugs, minimising any likelihood of the stanchions flexing and the forks twisting.

Before the B32 frames were used the works used the pre-war B21 rigid frames which were much lighter overall.

Hope this helps.