Trans Oil

nige02

I have a Raga 300 2011 and would like to know what is the best transmission oil to use. I've used motul transoil 10w30 and gro 75w. There is a big difference in price, so is the gro better? Also is dexrom 3 any good? Any advice would b gratefully received. Rich.

Ive got a 2010 racing 300 and have used castrol atf for the last two years and not had any problems with it at all although others state they have had clutch swell and slipping. Any good branded oil will be sufficient i would say and its more a matter of preference, availability and what works for you. If you search through the forums there are many posts asking what oils work best with none stating a precise oil to use.

I have a 2011 Raga 300. I used a couple different brands of ATF from the start. The clutch action was very progressive when new, in fact too progressive for my liking. Over the first few months the clutch action got less progressive and settled into a much quicker bite.

About 2 months ago I tested some Valvoline 0w20 synthetic. The first oil change returned about the half of the progressiveness of the new clutch and for me was just about perfect. The second oil change brought back all of the original progressiveness, perhaps even more than original. I was shocked by what a difference the oil made to the clutch action and that the change occured over multiple oil changes.

I actually messed around with a 50/50 mixture of the ATF and 0w20 oil but the clutch stayed very progressive.

I went back to the ATF on this last oil change and some of the progressiveness is going away.

It has actually been quite interesting and now I have another variable to tweak in my riding set up.

Thats not really anything like whats recommended or I've heard used before, have you had it in for long?

About a month now.... Changed it twice because of a WP seal failure.

Reason being is Gas Gas USA recommend 5/30 but i didnt have easy access to that so had to go with the 10/40, and they did mention Castrol and non synthetic, so kinda figured 'its castrol, its non synthetic (ok the weight is slightly wrong) but it hasn't had any adverse affects at all. The clutch feels nice, all the gear selections feel nice and positive, not too much drag, easy to find neutral etc....

Do you think thats bad??

I mean the only real difference is the 10/40 is a slightly heaver viscosity whether it be hot or cold...

I was going by what it said here http://www.Gas Gas.com/Pages/Technical/Home.html

Always 5W30 (Not 10W40), 350cc for the Pro, 650cc for other models, normal motor oil (Castrol/Penzoil etc). It is not recommended to use synthetic oi

Hmmm do you think it may be harmful?

Why would UK say different USA i wonder maybe a brand thing?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this up, downloaded the 2007 manual for my 300, and in there it says use 10W40 engine oil? I don't really know a lot about how different weights of oil etc affect the feel of a clutch, I've allways just tended to stick in what the manual says and off I go.

Shall I go with this or go for a lighter oil as you guys say? As far as I'm aware, original clutch installed.

Also, why are people using ATF in a manual gearbox instead of gear oil? Just because its lighter or?

With regards to amount of oil, how does the amount affect the feel of the clutch, or does it not? People are saying 400-450mm yet manual says 550mm for me :S?

Cheers.

Edited by cursed

Is that you Jon. (Hut Hill sat before last)

I Used putoline gp10 in my gasser at first as it was free with the bike. I then changed to atf after a rebuild as I have used it in all 2 stroke bikes for over 20 years and also it's under 2 quid a litre if you buy 5ltrs. I change it every other trial.

The clutch had very slightly more bite with atf, which suits me as I set the clutch to bite instant.

I found atf is quite progressive if you set the clutch to bite late, A few mates who are novice riders use atf with no probs if the lever is set to bite at the right point.

Atf is designed for car auto boxes with friction brake bands and wet clutches similar to a bike clutch so it is more resistent to heat damage with heavy clutch abuse.

10/40 Oil would be o.k, But it has to be motorcycle oil, NEVER use CAR 10/40 of any kind as it has friction modifiers in it and will make your clutch slip.

Alot of bike dealers dont like atf and will put people off it as they can not sell it for 15 quid a litre.

I have a dp clutch pack and it's had 7 months of abuse with atf and its not swelling as the rumors suggest.

Is that you Jon. (Hut Hill sat before last)

I Used putoline gp10 in my gasser at first as it was free with the bike. I then changed to atf after a rebuild as I have used it in all 2 stroke bikes for over 20 years and also it's under 2 quid a litre if you buy 5ltrs. I change it every other trial.

The clutch had very slightly more bite with atf, which suits me as I set the clutch to bite instant.

I found atf is quite progressive if you set the clutch to bite late, A few mates who are novice riders use atf with no probs if the lever is set to bite at the right point.

Atf is designed for car auto boxes with friction brake bands and wet clutches similar to a bike clutch so it is more resistent to heat damage with heavy clutch abuse.

10/40 Oil would be o.k, But it has to be motorcycle oil, NEVER use CAR 10/40 of any kind as it has friction modifiers in it and will make your clutch slip.

Alot of bike dealers dont like atf and will put people off it as they can not sell it for 15 quid a litre.

I have a dp clutch pack and it's had 7 months of abuse with atf and its not swelling as the rumors suggest.

Haha yes it is me!

Thanks for the answer, helped out a decent amount, I guess I'll go buy 1L of ATF and see if I like it, then stick with it as its cheap as chips!

Shes hopefully coming apart this weekend to look at the kickstart.

Depending what the clutch is like, I might replace that also, but funds atm are limited (student :()!

As it happens I'm down from bristol for saturday night, so ill bring the bike down and pop over to hut hill on sunday for the trial! I will need to leave 3pm latest (hopefully will be done by then) to be back in Bristol evening, but will see you there!

As for the ATF, if you have loads I wont say no, but it's not really necessary honestly! What brand do you use for that price?

Edit: Haha, just seen the results for the Hut Hill trial - it would seem I didn't do too well! Ahh well, first ever expert trial, was a good laugh & I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Edited by cursed