Wm2 (1.85) Versus Wm3 (2.15) Rear Rim Width

esteve

There have been a few threads on the forums about whether to use a WM2 (1.85) or WM3 (2.15) rim on a rear wheel but i never saw a conclusive recommendation.

Can anybody throw any light?

For a "standard" size bike, use the WM3, which is used on just about all the bikes (125, 250, 280, 300 etc.) available now. The narrower rim will distort the tread

footprint and cause traction and handling problems. A narrower rim would require a "smaller" tire to fit with the inherent lowering of performance standards.

Why do you ask?

Jon

For a "standard" size bike, use the WM3, which is used on just about all the bikes (125, 250, 280, 300 etc.) available now. The narrower rim will distort the tread

footprint and cause traction and handling problems. A narrower rim would require a "smaller" tire to fit with the inherent lowering of performance standards.

Why do you ask?

Jon

Jon, I ask because I need to rebuild my Honda TLR200 rear wheel and acquired a complete wheel which has a a 1.85 rim (vs the standard TLR200 rim which is a 2.15. I have seen references to getting a better tyre footprint from using the narrower rim with a standard 4" x 18" (not a narrower tyre) tyre but as I said in the original post "nothing conclusive". Maybe I should add that bike uses Tubed tyres.

WM2 was standard for decades, I have used both (on the same bike) and cant say I've noticed any difference.

Thankyou for your reply and the one on the Honda forum. I might just give it a go as the wheel is already built with a 1.85 rim. However I was hoping someone might post a tyre manufacturer data sheet or technical bulletin that might settle the debate - anybody?

Michelin http://www.michelinm...fitment2012.pdf recommends a 2.5 rim for the Trial Competition and X11 Rear (but 1.85 to 2.15 is compatible) and a 2.75 rim for the Trial X Light !!!!!!

IRC http://www.irc-tire.com/mce/ recommend a 2.15 rim for the 4.00R18 Trials Tourist (street use) rear, but don't stipulate a rim width for the competition trials tyre.

Dunlop http://www.dunlopmot...rt-trials/d803/ recommend a 2.15 rim for the D803 Rear tyre 4.00R18 (with 3.00 as an alternative).

So its still open for debate, in the case of Michelin tyres anyway, as to whether there are advantages or disadvantages in using a 1.85 or 2.15 rear rim with a 4.00R18 trials tyre.

Edited by esteve