Seating Tubeless Tyre

ducati996

Hi Nidom,sounds an exciting way of getting tyre on but what happens when u dont get everything just right ?

Too little or too much bang (we had a wheel jump about a foot in the air on an early experiment), very dependant on gas mixture & quantity.

The air needs to be turned on just after explosion, or the cooling gases contract & pull the tyre back off the rim (just had a thought, wonder if a vac pump would work as a bead breaker?).

This was very early days of tubeless rim & there were all sorts of horror stories of grown men close to tears! Our method was a bit more dramatic than Nigels clip, but that was the type of thing that got me thinking. Happy memories of friends hiding round corner!

I now use a Jitsie tyre beader, proper tyre soap & a £100 compressor. It's dead easy with practice, turned an X lite in 5 mins Sat night. I like to get the trye on rim without levers as reduces any chance of damage. I don't bother pre forming or warming tyres, they sit in garage, but a good idea if you are stuggling. Good luck & post how you get on, a friend is about to try his first tyre also.

• 6 years later...