Ty Twinshock Dt Or Similar Brake Plate

owen

Hello,

im building a special using DT forks (DT175 I think) but wanting to use the TY175 front wheel, the wheel fits fit but the TY175 wheel has a brake plate on it thats secured by a steady arm (torque arm?) on to the fork leg where as the DT fork leg accepts a brake plate via a oblong cut out on the plate and corresponding oblong wedge on the base of the fork. Does anyone know of a front brake plate that fits a TY175 or 250 front wheel that has a cut out oblong shape the goes on to the front forks from another model, such as other TY's or DT's etc.

the other option is the use the DT wheel i have but its a chrome rim and not alloy or rebuild the DT hub into the TY wheel but this is a bit of a budget build up so a parts bin special solution will be better for me?

Does this make any sense?

Thanks for any help!!

Owen

I bought a TY175 that had DT front forks (in-line axle model) on it and they had used a brake plate which fitted both the DT fork leg and the front wheel, which is from an IT125, but has the same drum and axle dimensions as a TY175/250 front hub. If yours are in-line axle DT forks, you should be able to use the brake plate from an IT125 (or possibly DT125 E) for your DT forks and TY wheel. I fitted TY forks and TY brake plate to that bike so I'm happy to sell the brake plate that the bike came with.

I'd give the DT wheel a go,if it has good braking action then I'd do what it takes to get a alloy rim laced up.Hell,I'd ride it with the steel rim until I had the money to swap rims,good strong brakes are the most important thing about old bikes,the energy you don't put into stopping or controlling weak brakes is energy you can utilize for riding :icon_salut:

P.S. I've always had better luck with lugged backing plate stops over torque arms,the torque arms seem to put sideloads onto the backing plate just enough to slightly vary the shoe alignment.

Edited by htrdoug

• 2 weeks later...