Big End

shercoben12

hi all

i ve just been told by my local dealer that my gas gas will either need a new piston kit or big end - not sure which yet

i can fit a new piston kit fine

but how would i do a big end and how much and where can i get the bearing.

a maunual or tips from you guys would be awesome :thumbup:

will i need any special tools?

will it be expensive? :wall:

many thanks

ben

if you are capable of fitting a piston kit ,remove cylinder and piston for inspection , i am quessing that your bike has a rattle which most people will blame piston or little end ,it tends to be piston slap due to worn piston and cylinder , big ends are strong and last a good time unless hi drauliced or ran without oil , you may need the cylinder measuring by a professional to determine if worn ,to check the big end push rod to one side and keep square and check for up and down play ,there should be non ,it is normal for side to side movement ,if found to be worn the crank needs removing and it takes a professional to replace the rod and bearing

You can do sme basic checks yourself.

If you can get a 0.0015inch feeler gauge between piston skirt and barrel one or both are a bit worn and will probably rattle but can still be used for a while. If you can get a 0.002 or 0.0025 feeler in it will probably need a piston and maybe a replate on the bore.

Check you main bearings by removing the side caings and try lifting the crank ends up and down - any "click" or slight movement and they need replacing. Whilst rotating the cran the main bearings should run dead smooth, and rougness at all and they need replacing. BIG end - same comment as previos poster.

Cheers

ShercoBen?

you are so vague about what you are dealing with, I dont know what bike your screwing with. I think you best leave it with a dealer, have him estimate it all for you.

You are aware that the clutch rattles on the 03 and newer bikes, Some can confuse this with piston, most of us can tell the difference.

Hard to start, unresponsive, lost power: can be anything from carb problems (like dirt or stale gas plugging things in the carb) to incorrect starting routine.

you definitely need to get this sorted, you could put new TOP END (cylinder and piston) and still not run right, if it is carb or even some have had ignition problems.

so be careful, usually I let the people who should know enough, trouble shoot and tell ME what they think is wrong, how much to fix. If you take to someone and tell them you think such and such needs fixed, but it didnt, too many times I see them do it anyhow because you said you wanted it...

Edited by sting32