oily

Hi guy's,

New here and I last owned a triles bike (Bultaco) a few years ago now.

I'm normally used to building big jap fours so this beasty shouldn't prove to troublesome EXCEPT sourcing parts.

Just returned from fetching my new toy.

A 1970 sherpa T that hasn't been started for at least 10 years. Bit of a state with a few bits missing but shouldn't take too long to get up and running then test it out before maybe pulling it apart and restoring it properly.

First question of probably dozens over the next few weeks.....

Where is the best place to obtain parts (new and s/h)?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys...

after a bit of interweb research, it transpires I've bought a M49??

Next question....

Before i spend a fortune in time and money (shortage of both) on looking for missing parts,

What were the really useful period mods?

...This is what I've got....

bultaco.jpg

...It came with the old fashioned "green" log book to prove it's bothe registered for the road and It's a 1970, 250cc. last owner had it for 32 years. Only things missing are the rear silencer, chrome exhaust guards and the side stand as far as i can see at this stage. Not been started for 10 years or so and defo needs a kickstart spring and the clutch sorting.

Is there an "online" parts book anywhere ? or where can i obtain one?

Also, can someone confirm which model this is please?

The M49 was made between October 1968 to April 1971, the early models had a metal gas tank, an airbox with integrated side panels and grillcover for the mid exhaust.

The M49 was a great success and in the end of 1969 the M49 was upgraded and these upgrades where available as a Kit for the older M49 models too, it included:

- a combined single piece fuel tank seat with attached side panels,

- a different, (smaller seat),

- an extra airbox,

- a different exhaust system.

The later M49 models from 69/70 on were already fitted with these modifications from the factory.

...This is what I've got....

bultaco.jpg

...It came with the old fashioned "green" log book to prove it's bothe registered for the road and It's a 1970, 250cc. last owner had it for 32 years. Only things missing are the rear silencer, chrome exhaust guards and the side stand as far as i can see at this stage. Not been started for 10 years or so and defo needs a kickstart spring and the clutch sorting.

Is there an "online" parts book anywhere ? or where can i obtain one?

Also, can someone confirm which model this is please?

Nice a photo, yours is an older M49 without the Kit, but I would not bother this is perfect.

I would upgrade to the metal fenders and search for the right sidecover-airbox unit, keep it otherwise as it is.

The other side.....

bultaco9.jpg

Is this side panel right?

I think so, the original was painted in two colors, this is irritating me, maybe your sidepanels where just painted wrong?

Here a pic of the 250cc M49, early version: http://www.motosclasicas.org/bultaco/images/sherpa/sherpa_t_250_m49.jpg

The contact data was already given for the UK, see postings above?

I think so, the original was painted in two colors, this is irritating me, maybe your sidepanels where just painted wrong?

Here a pic of the 250cc M49, early version: http://www.motosclas...a_t_250_m49.jpg

The contact data was already given for the UK, see postings above?

Thanks for the link, don't know if mine will be restored to quite that standard...i will still want to ride it.....

Next question......

I'm assuming these are not the original foot pegs??....

PA250255.jpg

....As they foul the kick-start,

think I would prefer spring loaded........

Opinions please.

Can anyone help with the missing exhaust parts or side stand?

I could do with the colour codes for the paint too.

The plate's look like the original one's. But the pegs that are welded on are not correct. Best thing to do is get a set of pegs/mounts from Bultaco UK and weld them on to the plates in place of of them. I was watching that bike on ebay as I also have a M49. If you have a look at the Adds on this web site you will see how mine looks.

Bultaco UK will have most of the parts you need. But the side stand is like hen's teeth. In the end I had to make one.

Good Luck with the rebuild.

Thanks paul,

I was expecting to have to make the side stand. Do you have or know of any decent pictures of the stand to give me a clue?

Already emailed Bultaco UK . wow, silencers aren't cheap are they?

Just took the seat off (home made) and the air box has no lid but a very nice rag stuffed into it. lol. Should the air box have a lid?

.....And so it begins ;)