Gearbox Locking Up

ivanski

First off.

Hi all, newbie's first post, Advice needed, been looking at y2k 290 really clean bike, problem is lean the bike over to the right in neutral and roll it forward and the gearbox locks up, stand the bike up roll back a bit and it frees off, motor has been apart, runs fine but whines in gear under load, any ideas/advice as to what problem could be?

I believe I know the answer to this as I had the same problem after doing a rebuild a few years ago on mine, 1 of the washers that fits on the output shaft at the clutch end is on the wrong side of the crankcase.

Can't remember if it will have been placed behind the idler gear for the kickstart instead of on the shaft before asssembly into the cases or the other way around.

Basically what ends up happening is the gears don't sit in full alignment & when you lean the bike over 1 does try to engage with it's neighbour

I'll see if I can find the thread about when I had the problem & post it in here

Hi thanks for replies, just had a chance to strip out the clutch and remove the basket to get a better idea of whats going on in there, taken out the selector shaft and tried to select gears by rotating the drum manually, and yes Feetupfun you're spot on,with the drum in the neutral position it is dropping into gear.

im parting a Sherco out right now, if you need anything, have a pretty much complete trans, minus the shifter shaft..{it broke}

I have broken that shaft also on a Sherco I just sold......twice. apparently those shifter shafts don't like being used as a foot peg on a drop off. :P (Disclaimer: of course I fixed it each time and sold the bike in working condition)

ivanski,

This may help http://www.vmtc.at/Technik/Sherco/sparebook_07.pdf Pages 45 and 47 show exploded view of transmission gears, may help with locations of all the washers and such if it is something out of place.

Think i've sorted this, split the cases today and, found a thrust washer the wrong side of one of the gears, gaskets should be here tomorrow so back together and fingers crossed out to play at the weekend. :stoned:

Thank you for your report. Although self induced, at least it was not by you!