Is It Me ? Or Are They All Flat

dixie

I went out practicing on my Ty250 yesterday - first time I've ridden properly for months as I've concentrated on riding my AJS all year.(Not ridden that since the Guy Fawkes trial,so very rusty) A mate came along on his recently aquired Scorpa 125 4t, now I know the Scorpa is only a 125 but I thought its would be miles more capable than my old nail... Ok the brakes worked properly and the rear suspension was much better,but I was suprised how well the older bike compared,esp in how well mine steers and grips - nowhere did the modern bike find grip that mine couldnt.

In the old quarry where I play there is a very steep hillclimb,much steeper than anything I've ever seen in a classic trial.It follows a short steep drop,so no chance for a run up.You just have to rely on pickup from nothing,which the TY did in second with no problem at all.The Scorpa also did it in second but ran out of steam and needed a dab at the top to help it over the crest.

One last thing I would mention,on the video that Andy put up of Mick on the 320 - those original tail pipes always make them sound horrible and flat,they sound 100% better with the alloy WES type system on them.

PS, We got VERY wet yesterday.....

• 2 weeks later...

Update, The bike is running even better now, after removing the fuel tap, there was an over long reserve tube, and lots of residue on the tap filter, tube removed, filter cleaned, in-line filter fitted (to get some fuel volume near the needle valve). This seems to of done the trick, the bike often felt like it was slightly bogging, almost like a fuel starvation thing. I ran out of petrol in a section again last week, even though there seemed to be over a third of a tank on board, so took it all apart, it was a brand new fuel tap, now it has been modded it seems to have a greater flow.

Fingers crossed.

Update, The bike is running even better now, after removing the fuel tap, there was an over long reserve tube, and lots of residue on the tap filter, tube removed, filter cleaned, in-line filter fitted (to get some fuel volume near the needle valve). This seems to of done the trick, the bike often felt like it was slightly bogging, almost like a fuel starvation thing. I ran out of petrol in a section again last week, even though there seemed to be over a third of a tank on board, so took it all apart, it was a brand new fuel tap, now it has been modded it seems to have a greater flow.

Fingers crossed.

I tend to throw the reserve tube away.

• 8 months later...

• 1 month later...

Hi dixie, is there any obvious alterations to the barrel porting - or is it birkett black magic?

Sorry for the delay, no computer for ages. The piston seems to have more work than the barrel????, but to be honest I was in such a rush to get it all together I did not measure anything...