Alloy Guards On A Montesa Cota 247.

handmadematt

As I understand alloy guards were standard equipment?

My bike has some period red plastic guards on it at the moment, obviously replacements.

They're Preston Petty "Mini Mudder" guards.

2013-01-05092838_zps63be8091.jpg

I've been told that they're one of the first types of flexible durable plastic guards like this.

However, they're a bit tired in places and are loosing their colour a bit, they're going a bit pinky.

In the future I wish to replace them.

There are two options, either some universal white plastic mudguards available from about £18 each or:

The Spanish pattern alloy guards for the Montesa are around £120 each! Ouch!

My Royal Enfield Bullet Trials has alloy guards that come un-drilled and area relatively cheap at about £35 each, I have measured them and they are virtually the same size at what's on there at the moment.

They're the 6th item down on this page: (Called simply "Alloy Guards.")

http://www.hitchcock...frame-mudguards

Opinions please.

Cheers.

Edited by handmadematt

Unless you are wanting the Cota just to be used for static display, plastic guards are the only sensible choice. You can buy the universal guards in grey/silver which looks good on a Cota 247. White and black plastic guards also look quite good.

The cheaper ally guards are near identical to the origionals and will look good, but have to agree with Feet Up about plastic guards being better for riding. Stilmotor classic grey guards will fit a treat, try Steve Goode motorcycles.

I have a 1972 Fura 50 and that has alloy mudguards. They seem to be origional fitment.

On holiday in portugal last year we spotted an immaculate 348 fitted with Alloy guards. It looked really pretty but was being used in traffic.

Off road it would be a good mark of your status as a pro to not bend them first day out.

• Like 1

I chose black in the end and am very happy.

The black ties the seat, handle bars and tyres together very nicely.

I re-fitted the original vintage number plate which is great.

2013-01-08150850_zps16d90f72.jpg

2013-01-08150942_zpsbed412fc.jpg

The old guards had gone orange/ pink and were letting the bike down I think. Under the numberplate the plastic was the original red which would have been OK.

It turns out that the front guard was to low on the rear of the wheel. I caught it on a rock today and cracked it... Doh! Ha... It cracked quiet low though so I just cut it and neatly riveted the mud flap back on at the higher point. It looks great and will work better. Lesson learned.