Gas Gas Sounds A Little "gritty"

cursed

I haven't ridden the bike since early December and have a trial this Sunday, so thought I would get the bike out and make sure it's all alright! However when I went to kick it over I immediately noticed as the cylinder went up and down in the head it sounded kind of scratchy or gritty, which is not normal obviously...I then proceeded to start it anyway as its not horrendous (maybe I shouldn't have :/) and it ran ok, but the scratchy ness was definitely still audible.

Pretty certain it's coming from the piston/cylinder.

Should I just ride the bike a bit and see if it all lubricates itself up? My concern is that it won't and ill just damage the cylinder :/

Any advice please?

Thanks, Jon.

As a newcomer to the Gas Gas............................what would I do? in no particular order:

• drop the oil and check the magnet on the sump bolt and put in fresh
  • take out the spark plug and drop in a bit of 2 stroke oil and turn it over without the plug in
  • take off the header and see if you can see anything bad in the bore

best of luck

Andrew

Edited by shipdamite

As a newcomer to the Gas Gas............................what would I do? in no particular order:

• drop the oil and check the magnet on the sump bolt and put in fresh
  • take out the spark plug and drop in a bit of 2 stroke oil and turn it over without the plug in
  • take off the header and see if you can see anything bad in the bore

best of luck

Andrew

Oil has only done a trial. Had thought about oil straight into the head.

The mains could have rusted up!

The bearings? Was fully of oil so would hope not :/.

Will check out the flywheel, quick job really. I guess if anything is rusty it's best to clear it off, then run the bike and change the oil a little more frequent than normal a few times to get any shards out like?

Check the tank bolt is good and tight. The tank can buss against the frame and sounds very much like a top end noise.

Will check but you can literally hear it simply by slowly kicking the bike over (moving piston up and down) so pretty sure the noise is caused by the piston moving up and down...

Edited by cursed

If thats the case, I would pull the top end and have a looksie. Better safe than sorry and you'll have peace of mind to boot. Its pretty easy to do - just buy a head oring set and base gasket along with any other parts you find you need.

If thats the case, I would pull the top end and have a looksie. Better safe than sorry and you'll have peace of mind to boot. Its pretty easy to do - just buy a head oring set and base gasket along with any other parts you find you need.

Might be able to get away with just the base gasket and leave the head attached to the cylinder. This is an optimistic view though, because if it is "gritty" sounding in the cylinder then there are probably scratches in the cylinder wall from whatever is scraping. and may need to remove head and get cylinder replated etc..

If not piston/ring and cylinder related then Connecting rod bearings maybe??

had a similar thing on my sherco took the flywheel cover off and there was a bit of crap in there cleaned it up and the noise went got to be worth a try??

Thanks a lot, turned out to be this. Was some grit between the flywheel and the crankcase cover making the noise. Whipped it off and cleaned it out and all is well :).

Glad I tried this just before whipping off the head lol.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, turned out to be this. Was some grit between the flywheel and the crankcase cover making the noise. Whipped it off and cleaned it out and all is well :).

Glad to hear it was something simple. I will have to keep this in mind for future noise investigations. I love an easy fix too.

That's great!

:icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: glad to help