Hello!

4um

Hello, just joined the forum last week after skulking in the shadows for a while...

Stopped riding about 15 years ago after I found the sections were increasingly unrideable with my meagre abilities but have missed it ever since.

I'm now older, fatter, and unhealthier than I've ever been so what better time to make a flamboyant embarrassing return?

Hope to buy a trail bike and ride a few LDTs and some trail bike trials as I really don't think I can ride modern trials any longer.

My list of suitable bikes is quite short at the moment but maybe favour an older Beta Alp 4.0. Any other suggestions of bikes I may have overlooked would be very welcome. Budget is no more than 2 thousand.

All the best,

Ian

All depends upon your prefs you know, but the lightness and nimbleness of modern trials bike can spoil you once you get comfortable on them.

There aer several bikes that come to mind for your wants and the 4RT is hard to beat, yet pricey even used. The Beta 4T's and 2 are nice, and long range kits available. Same with the Scorpa Yams in both 2T and 4T.

I have a Serow, have owned a 2T Alp in the past, but the big Alp has to be a bigger pig in the dirt than the Serow I would think! Flogging around another top heavy 50 kilos or more does nothing for me, as I am spoiled. The 250's are gentile for the most, yet will perform.

Best of choices, try getting out and doing some testing

Thanks for the "Hellos"

copemech, I think I've decided on a trail bike - for me it just makes more sense than a modern trials bike - easier sections in that class and a more versatile bike that I can green lane on if the urge takes me.

I see now that the 350 and 200 Alps are quite different beasts and that the 350 is a full 30kg heavier than the 200 and 25kg heavier than a Serow. My list went like this originally:

GG Pampera

Alp 200

Serow

Alp 4.0 (350)

The GG, Alp 200's and Serows seem difficult to find in nice condition at a nice price so that left the Alp 350 but now I may have to rethink...

I saw that pete_scorpa3 rides a DRZ in this type of event. That may be an option but it looks like it would be more of a handful even than the 350 Alp.

I think I'll get along to a few events and see if I can blag a ride around a field on a couple of bikes.

Thanks again,

Ian

Have you considered a twin shock ? 1980's are sensibly priced (except Fantic's) Have a real seat, decent sized tank. Lights shouldnt be a problem, if required. Twin shocks are very capable, alot easier than a trail bike. Should hold price if bought sensibly. Just a thought.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Your timing is perfect! Yesterday I bought a Beta Alp 200 from eBay. I haven't collected it yet but hope to do the 600 mile round trip on Sunday as long as the weather remains reasonable.

Alp.jpg

Alp2.jpg

Looking forward to picking it up and having a play.

Thanks for all the replies and input.

Ian

• Like 1

Well 600 miles, 8 1/2 hours and probably 3 points on my licence later (camera van on motorway bridge :o ), the Beta is tucked up in my garage for the night.

Can't wait for next weekend to go get muddy somewhere...

Well 600 miles, 8 1/2 hours and probably 3 points on my licence later (camera van on motorway bridge :o ), the Beta is tucked up in my garage for the night.

Judging from your excitement, I would say that it will be considered a worthwhile trip.............points on license included.