Couple Of Problems(2002 Txt 280)

da lipper

Haven't started my 2002 txt 280 for 3-4 years now so i took the fuel tank off to drain it (there wasn't any fuel in it) took the bottom of the carb off to clean that too which had some light brown liquid in it. I put in fresh fuel and she started after about the fourth kick! She was running pretty rough though, wouldn't take any throttle or she would cut out, but when she warmed up a bit i could put the choke off.

I pulled the clutch in and put it in gear and she jumped forward (clutch not working) tried again by pushing off downhill and putting in gear and off we went! Ran around for a couple of minutes trying the clutch but still not working and the bike did not want to idle it just cut out if the revs got too low.

Will i have to get new clutch plates or will the old ones come apart again, also should i take the carb apart and give it a proper clean?

Thanks Da Lipper

sound like there's still dirt/blockage in the pilot circuit, another good clean and a blow out using air should see that sorted.

Clutch would be best fixed by taking apart, and inspecting, probably just stuck and a bit of corrosion, no problem.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with the clutch sticking on a '95 I just bought and sold. Fired up fine, pulled the clutch, shifted down and off it went! Fortunately I held on got control. Rode around the yard pulling the clutch lever on and off while twisting the throttle and after a couple minutes the clutch worked normal. Just stuck from sitting.

I would suggest changing the tranny oil because it sat for 3-4 years and try again riding again before tearing into it.

Edited by thats_a_five

FYI those old style clutches did that on a lot of different bike brands.

what happens is they sit and squeeze the oil out between the "6 layers" of clutches. so now they are like suction cups holding themselves together, with a microlayer of oil.

So you usually have to start the bike after even as few as 1 to 3 months of storage. So the routine is, make sure you are pointed towards open country, and now you know, roll forward as you Bang it into 1st, holding on so you can get on it. While riding rear brake you pull the clutch repeatedly. it will turn loose in a few seconds. if you ride more often this didnt happen, lol.

I have had this happen on older beta's and yamaha's and other bikes.

Yes, change the oil

good luck.

Edited by sting32

Hee hee, this reminds me of the First Rule Of Gun Safety: ALWAYS keep your weapon pointed in a Safe Direction.

A friend of mine had a Beta that had a clutch that behaved as Da Lipper describes. It would do it every time it was started up when cold, as in the first start & take off of the day. He said it better be pointed in a safe direction when you put it in gear, because wherever the bike was pointed was where it took off towards. After the initial "White Knuckle & Big Eyes" take off of the day, the thing was fine.....

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

Neutron,

seriously, dad and I have been in the "motorcycle thing" for 45 or more years, and without a calculator, you cannot count how many times we've watched from afar, people rip right into that $40k new pickup, due to "not pointing a bike, especially new rider or used & unknown maintenance history-bike... Weather it is from being ridden for the 1st time, or some newb's first time...

Then there are the 5 or more times I have had the clutch not let go for myself and take me out the "handlebar width opened" sliding doors on the shop. Hell one time I was lucky I was 12 feet from the door when the bike I was holding, slipped into gear while I was getting a rag or putting on my gloves, It took me 11.9 feet, to get it stopped, (I'm short, and I was kinda scooped off my feet by rear fender...

then about 2 months ago, I was prepping to be washing my 2011 raga 300 pro, I caught my jeans on the shifter, JUST as I was dismounting my still running bike, which whacked it into gear on me, flipping me head over heals within 3 feet of where I was, as it high sided me, with only one arm still holding the bike (yep, the throttle hand)... luckily I was able to think quickly let go of throttle grip as well, else I would have probably traveled 50 ft at as fast as the "Some beyotch" could go in 2nd gear, WFO.

It can happen so fast, and IMHO it can or will happen to all of us I think, lol. I never leave my bike running, on kickstand nor throttle side agains the tree (tree/sapling nestled or wedged between throttle and brake lever especially) unless I was brain dead tired anymore... unless I have found neutral with my hands, or have just started it, and I start after carefully finding NEUTRAL, and have not put it in gear yet... Oh, and definitely don't lean it on it's handlebars on the bed of the pickup, lol. dont ask me how I came up with that rule, which is TRIALS rule 43...

Edited by sting32

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with my 2002 the clutch would work a bit better once warmed up but it was always a problem. In the end I bit the bullet and upgraded the clutch... the 2003 and newer bikes have the newer clutch and I have been very happy since I upgraded mine.