2011 290

bambam_n_chunx

Just picked up a 2011 290 sherco and wondered if anyone has any tips or ideas for maintaining these bikes. Are there any do`s and donts and is atf ok for the gearbox. The clutch was stuck on when I picked it up and it took a good few minutes riding with the brake on to free it off so i`m guessing its due an oil change, also its fitted with a 2 stage mapping switch, i`m guessing setting 1 is softer than 2.

Any help welcome.

It might be ok with ATF but all 3 of my shercos were quite happy on standard 10/40 motor oil. The clutch does drag a little from cold but that probably happens regardless of the oil. as for the mapping i can tell you if you take it off thats the softer setting which is what i did, most people dont need to make a 290 any quicker, certainly not for NE centre trials anyway. Make a cover for the fuel tank filler so its not getting mud in when you fill up part way through a trial.

Only other thing I would do is run some rtv silicone round the lower tray the air filter sits on so that no muck gets down the side of the filter.

And if your going to be dropping it get some carbon look protection for the petrol tank and exhaust as they look very tatty once dented. Splatshop and AG bikes both stock them.

Whot Baldilocks said! The clutches may still have some tendancy to stick together after sitting up a while, never trust them, rock the bike in 4-5 gear prior to starting to break loose the plates.

ATF will work but makes them a bit on/off it seems.

I cannot tell the difference in map 1 and 2 tbh.

Some have mentioned the airbox sealing, but I guess one can flog enough mud and water at anything and eventually get into problems.

I believe the entire airbox assembly is updateable to the 12-13 spec for around 75 quid.

I have never seen one fall apart, think someone is confused with a Beta.

Whot Baldilocks said! The clutches may still have some tendancy to stick together after sitting up a while, never trust them, rock the bike in 4-5 gear prior to starting to break loose the plates.

ATF will work but makes them a bit on/off it seems.

I cannot tell the difference in map 1 and 2 tbh.

Some have mentioned the airbox sealing, but I guess one can flog enough mud and water at anything and eventually get into problems.

I believe the entire airbox assembly is updateable to the 12-13 spec for around 75 quid.

I have never seen one fall apart, think someone is confused with a Beta.

strange that every time i see my mates 2012 something is about to fall off and thats every week Edited by zerorev3rev4

3 days at ssdt, 4 day in france then reeth 3 day on a 2012 290 nothing fell off.

i now have a gas gas so im not sherco blind.

it only takes one thing to come loose then its a chain reaction. check exhaust, tank, engine bolts occaisionally and it will be fine. No different than any other bike

Thats what I thought, a bolts a bolt no matter what bike its on. If you cant use a spanner its not the bikes fault if it falls off.

I have spent the night sealing the rear rim tape though, easy enough job but would have thought it would have been done by now.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thats what I thought, a bolts a bolt no matter what bike its on. If you cant use a spanner its not the bikes fault if it falls off.

I have spent the night sealing the rear rim tape though, easy enough job but would have thought it would have been done by now.

You are correct, and as with any bike, poor prep and maintaenance will catch you! Bikes like clean air, clean fuel, clean carbs good lube, tight bolts, simple enough.

In answer to your original question, I would insere the steering head bearings have been cleaned and well lubed, the rear suspension linkage as well, as even with plain bearings, they do not like dirt entry. Insure the axle shafts are free and lubed to prevent corrosion as well as packing wheel bearings. The swingarm pivot bearings as well if it has been in a lot of water or mud. Just common stuff to think about.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the 2011 has the external spoke rear wheel?, Mine does, may be you have an early 11 model or someone has changed the rear wheel.

I have always used a can of tire weld to seal the rear rim on bikes, Has worked a teat on loads of our bikes. It's nice to have external spokes now though!

Oh also, The 2012 airbox will fit but you have to drill and tap a thread on the frame by the headstock and elongate the 2nd hold under the filter for the bolt to line up. Also the 2012 airbox is for a Keihin 28mm carb so might need an adapter for a 26mm Dellorto. Also it will set you back £175 and you will need stickers too and a mudguard one for a 2012 on bike to match.

You will still get water in it when you jetwash so not really different from the 11 airbox, It looks better though and will stop muck getting in better due the cone design making a better seal round the inlet pipe.