125 To A 250 Gas Gas

shercoben12

right... the time has come to sell my 125 as it is costing too much to run with so many expensive problems due to excessive wear.

i feel that for me the 125 was a great bike for learning the basics on. but now ive progressed on and would like a bigger bike.

i do not like the way i have to rev it so high to get up things! so i am looking for a 250txt pro. what are these like power wise?

i seem to be able to handle the power of bigger bikes very well and prefer riding them.except sometimes i ride my dads 270 1998 which

is not very smooth but very snappy and is almost impossible to get it up steep slippery hill whithout a huge run up..

does the 250 Gas Gas pro like to spin the wheels up or is it a nice smooth bike which is easy to find grip on? because what i want from a 250 is a nice soft bottom end and to make it easy to find grip. i am guessing i will have to do some mods then?

anyone got any good modds to soften it a liitle?

thanks

ben

Hi Ben,

my 250 has a flywheel weight which works well at smoothing it all out and the slow action throttle helps too. I have only been riding a trials bike since I got the pro in september, so hopefully someone will be along to offer more qualified advice...............

Ben, the 250 is not overly aggressive and a nice bike. Yet there are a couple options for your 125.

The standard Gasser 200 top end will fit right on(173cc as I recall) and is a sweet bike even for adults.

The other option would be the S3 225 kit which would likely require the added flywheel weight kit.

Yes, a 125 requires more rider input and revs,but it makes them a better learning tool.

I will add to this, you need to go watch a champ event or WTC youth to see what a 125 will do. I honestly doubt you are there yet, or really need more! You just WANT more!

Edited by copemech
  • Like 2

Ben, the 250 is not overly aggressive and a nice bike. Yet there are a couple options for your 125.

The standard Gasser 200 top end will fit right on(173cc as I recall) and is a sweet bike even for adults.

The other option would be the S3 225 kit which would likely require the added flywheel weight kit.

Yes, a 125 requires more rider input and revs,but it makes them a better learning tool.

I will add to this, you need to go watch a champ event or WTC youth to see what a 125 will do. I honestly doubt you are there yet, or really need more! You just WANT more!

i know, its just everytime i go up stuff i have to rev itself to pieces to go any where. weve just spent 1k on it and its costing to much to run.

plus i prefer riding a bigger bike:)

If you have to rev so much to get up anything is it more likely to be the bike or your technique?

Are you spinning the wheel too much?

Is there too much air in your rear?

Are you quite light, unable to get your weight over the rear to keep the wheel from revving out?

A 250 will be exactly the same if the technique is not there?

I can get mt daughters ty80 to pull me up hills and I weigh 13stone.

A lot of the engine issues you seem to be having sound self inflicted like th kickstart issue.

It's all down to technique Ben. I ride beta 2011 250 on sportsman route up in Scotland, class down from expert. I can ride my little brothers sherco 125 and still manage the stuff I do on the 250. Power is nothing without control. Try the basics tyre pressures and for those steep slippery hill climbs select higher gears try 3rd and 4th and use ur body weight to fined the grip. You will get there kid keep at it ?

Edited by grant8

I think Sherco Ben needs to change his name, to Gas Gas BEN, because I'm feeling like he's constantly baiting us. Asking all these Gas Gas questions, you think if I posted as Ford Fred or BMW Fred, on the Chevy forums, people wouldnt think the same :closedeyes: Heheheee.

But if he isnt, he's got to learn which gear and how to slip the clutch/modulate your throttle, and that is after even developing the other parts of technique, like how to move your body around on the bike, to get traction on ANY sized bike. Plus AFAIK until you reach 18 I thought you had to ride a 125, Kings rules and all?

Last I had heard, us 'mericans were just too fat to ride this pissy small bore bikes. I like 300, if you're going to go, why not go all in? :popcorn:

Oh and dont forget we've move ourselves back in time (NO STOP) a couple decades, when the best bikes were "sherpa T 350 (325) cc bikes, not those pithy little beyotch bikes. Why stop at 250?

Carb & cylinder Exhaust will decide (of course along with bore size and stroke) how the engine will rev, and where it produces Torque. 125's produce barely enough torque to move the motorcycle on flat ground without addting throttle, my 300 can spit you off from dead stop, in 3rd gear by comparision, crack the throttle on a regular Gas Gas pro, then ride the racing (with Kehin) and see the bike ride totally different, then some years seem more smooth than others. Jetting can modify that, as well as more base gasket under the cylinder where it mates to transmission, and as well as, on newer bikes with the S-3 heads, if equiped you can swap out the head with different compression. all of these things are subtle too, some better riders might say it is a little more than subtle...

Edited by sting32

Hi Ben I have had both the 173 and the 225 kits fitted to a 125 gasser , the 225 needed a heavy flywheel weight and i also fitted a s3 low comp head insert and it had loads of grip of the bottem . TOTALY TRANSFORMS THE BIKE !!!! :bouncy:

The riders I know that use the 225 kit have nothing but good things to say about it's performance. They also found the flywheel addition to be beneficial.

Jon