Oil Change

harrytrialsboy

Engine and gearbox is the same on a Pro.

Warm the bike up a little. not till the fan comes on but enough to get the oil warm.

Take the filler plug out.

Loosen the drain plug, then stick a container underneath before you take the plug out completely.

Let all the oil drain out.

Clean the sludge from the drain plug magnet.

Once the oil has stopped dripping stick the drain plug back in.

Fill with 400 ml Dextron III ATF (Dextron II is OK but III is better).

Put the filler cap back on.

Warm the bike up.

Check for any leaks and that you can see nice clean oil in the 'window'

Ride till it gets dark.

Just a quick addition to Subira's list, When you warm it take it for a quick spin only for a min because just warming it up on tick over doesn't do a great deal.

And once atsrted and upright the oil should be just above half way in the window!

Lew GasGas

There is a hole in the bash plate below the drain plug. There is no need to remove the plate.

jenkinsm

If you put 400ml in as suggested by Subira the level will be above the window. I think 350ml takes it up to the middle. I questioned this when I got my pro as filling as per the Gas Gas instruction brings it well above the window.

Lew gas gas I think they are talking about the pro when they mention the window! Yours will have one too but its in a different place. Plus yours holds more oil I think about 750ml (or cc).

No you dont have to take the bash plate off as there is a hole like bigfoot said. Just use an allen key to undo the bung through the hole and let the oil drain, then refit bung (dont over tighten tho). The filler bung is just behind your kickstart (also allen key), take this out and fill up with fresh oil. I use Putoline GP10 but as said ATF is ok too. Use a measuring jug so you know how much oil you are you putting in!

A: shows you where the filler bung is (its actually just behind the kicker).

B: shows where your window is.

(I think this will be the same as your bike)

post-7-1116863981.jpg

Personally, I run 550ml of 10w30 oil. Gear change is a lot smoother. Remember on the pro that the oil lubes the main bearings as well!

Lew, on a 98 TXT you should use 10w30 oil and I think its either 650 or 750 ml

Personally, I run 550ml of 10w30 oil. Gear change is a lot smoother.

If you run it at that you risk blowing the crank seals!! Bet there is oil in the crankcase breather pipe.

Bigfoot, 400 brings it above half on mine once started and leant upright. :hyper:

If you run it at that you risk blowing the crank seals!! Bet there is oil in the crankcase breather pipe.

Bigfoot, 400 brings it above half on mine once started and leant upright.  :D

No, always ran them on that. they've been spot on!

Do whatever :hyper: