Twinshock With Disc Brake Conversion

zerorev3rev4

I think people get too hung up on this twinshock / aircooled mono / o40 / 050 class thing.

Ultimately it's about riding a bike you enjoy riding in the type of event you enjoy riding. Why are people so hung up about riding in a specific 'class'. If you like riding a make of bike that just happened to be a twinshock at original manufacture and you ride it on the easy or middle route at modern trials, then there is no reason to question fitting it with discs. If you ride it in a twinshock class, whether that is in a modern or classic trial, then it should have drums fitted. It's an unfair advantage if you are competing against other twinshocks that are period spec. It's cheating.

I haven't had a modern bike for about 7 years and ride my Bultacos or Ossas or BSA in whatever trial I like. More in modern trials than classic as it happens, many of which don't have a twinshock class. If I rode the Bultaco only in modern events I'd probably put discs on it as some descents can be a bit hairy (the type you never get in 95% of classic events) and it also makes slow clutch / brake maneouvres much easier as you need an effective back brake to steady the bike when easing around on the clutch. But, as I still use it in classic events then no way should or would I fit it with discs.

Some people try to make a twinshock like a modern bike. You can't, it just won't happen. You can improve the steering a bit on some but ultimately it gives no real advantage. I haven't come across a classic section yet that I can't steer my '72 Sherpa around or my KT when I had it (very similar to an older Sherpa)

You need to ask yourself why you ride the Cota. If it's because you enjoy it (and they are a good little bike) then that's reason enough. If you're solely competing against modern bikes outside of a twinshock class then there is no problem fitting discs. Against other twinshocks, no, you must see that it is an unfair advantage or cheating? Most riders may not say anything to you at a trial if you did, but you can guarantee there would be a lot of muttering behind your back.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Woody and many other contributors on this. Dont quite get why you would go to all that trouble moding a Cota 200 instead of just buying a much better twinshock but thats up to you.

On the legal illegal cheating point i have to agree fitting discs or hydraulic clutches most definately is. However i think you would be welcome to ride at many club events just that your bike would be marked "ineligable machine" on the results well that applies to the clubs i ride at but they are "Classic" clubs doubt if modern clubs would give a toss just take your money and turn a blind eye.

As for the "convert a mono to twinshock" premis well if you cant see it's just blatant cheating then theres not much point in trying to explain further.

If youre determined to stick with the Cota then i would have thought you would be better spending your money on stocking up on gearbox parts and kickstart shafts. :popcorn:

Totally agree with Woody and many other contributors on this. Dont quite get why you would go to all that trouble moding a Cota 200 instead of just buying a much better twinshock but thats up to you.

On the legal illegal cheating point i have to agree fitting discs or hydraulic clutches most definately is. However i think you would be welcome to ride at many club events just that your bike would be marked "ineligable machine" on the results well that applies to the clubs i ride at but they are "Classic" clubs doubt if modern clubs would give a toss just take your money and turn a blind eye.

As for the "convert a mono to twinshock" premis well if you cant see it's just blatant cheating then theres not much point in trying to explain further.

If youre determined to stick with the Cota then i would have thought you would be better spending your money on stocking up on gearbox parts and kickstart shafts. :popcorn:

it wont be much trouble converting to disc just a case of bolting parts on ,its only cheating with a mono conversion if you ride in twinshock class ,and ive already got plenty gearbox and kickstart parts spare

Why ask, your mind is already set.

Guy

i dont know why people keep jumping to conclusions and assumptions that arnt right if they didnt assume, they might be able to look on things in a differnt light i wanted others views which i have now got ,and it doesnt sound suitable for what i want unless i run 2 twinshocks or swop the front ends when wanted as it depends on the type of trial and which class to be ridden or wether i just want to practice on it or put my son on it or use it on the road ,i never said anything about wanting to cheat if its allowed then others can do the same if its not allowed in a certain class then fair enough no problem

Its your bike, do whatever you want to it. If you get a buzz from moding it then all the better. Everyone likes to tinker with their machines, I can understand others concerns if your'e gonna put it in with the other twinshocks, but you didn't say you was going to did you.