No Circlip Above Fork Seals ?

paxo

I'm currently stripping the forks on my Sherpa 350 (159) and was expecting to find a circlip above the seals. There is no circlip and no groove to fit one ? Also there were 3 seals fitted rather than two......Is this normal on some models ?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

some forks dont have Circlips mine dont have them. think they was on the older bultacos tho. there should only be 2 seals in each leg only thing i can think of is they may of not been the corect size and they have put on exra in to build it up. not sure how deep the seals are i did mine last year hope this helps cheers bondy. when i first ever striped my forks i thought the same about the circlips.

Edited by bondy

As above, not all forks have circlips

Seal size is 35x47x10 - one per leg. This is the same as a KTM SX65, so if you get a genuine KTM seal it should be a good quality. A lot of pattern seals in the past have been 6mm deep, therefore they fit two per leg instead of one. If there are three in yours, they must be like O rings....

Be careful if you go to a local seal stockist for seals as they usually only stock rotary seals, not hydraulic seals. Rotary seals are for spinning shafts as in gearboxes etc, whereas hydraulic deal with in/out piston type movement. Rotary seals will leak very quickly if you use them in forks.

Looking for cheap seals is a false economy, it's worth paying a few quid more for good quality seals. If the forks leak with good quality seals, the chrome on the stanchion is probably worn with age/usage

Also very recommended from own experience Ariete ARI in 35 x 47 x 10, you only need one of them in each side they comes together with a grease that has to be filled between the lips of the oil seal, (the oil seal has two lips that will seal the stanchion).

Very little stop-loss momentum and if you want, you can even skip using the dust covers as the upper lips works likewise.

http://www.motorrad-ersatzteile24.de/Ersatzteile-Produktdetails/103010049,Ariete%20Gabelsimmerring%20-%20Satz%2035%20x%2047%20x%2010.html#

DSC08120.jpg

Mr.Schrauber, you have to learn this unusual english word stiction which is what I think you mean when you refer to stop loss momentum all the time. Agree with the ariete seals, never seem to wear out. Mark

Mr.Schrauber, you have to learn this unusual english word stiction which is what I think you mean when you refer to stop loss momentum all the time. Agree with the ariete seals, never seem to wear out. Mark

OK,

I hope I will not forget, stiction sounds so unfamiliar in combination with friction and reminds me in word melody more to a stick, stitch, ...

might sound stupid for you but english is not my mothertongue. As said I will do my best in future.

Patrik

In case you are wondering why it is OK to have no retaining circlips, it is just that the internal pressure when the forks are compressed is not enough to cause them to slide upwards. Some Bultaco forks have vented caps, which limits this pressure, but the odd thing is that there are many Bultaco forks without vented caps and also without circlips. A bit of a mystery so far to me. Anyway, I run (non-standard) unvented caps on my 1968 M49 (the bike in my avatar) and do not use circlips and despite quite a hammering, the seals have stayed put.

As far a I know 'Stiction' is an amalgamation of the words 'Static Friction' - friction, or resistance to movement, is significantly higher when the item is static (so when it starts moving, it becomes 'dynamic/kinetic friction' which is usually lower).

Thanks for all the replies folks its appreciated.

Regarding the KTM SX65 seals, I don't suppose you know the actual year of SX65 that's the same ?

Cheers Paxo

I don't, no, but I just ask the local KTM dealer for SX65 seals in that size and he has no trouble finding them. Could be that all SX65 have 35mm forks