Cooling Fan And Ht Leads

steviegasgas

I have just started out in the world of trials and took delivery of a 2005model txt 250 last week. I was out yesterday for the 1st time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Just getting used to the bike and different style of riding. I have noticed the radiator fan is coming on quite a lot, is this normal?

Also do gas gas sell HT leads or do people make their own? The one i have is a bit short and was popping itself loose out of the spark plug cap and stalling

• Like 1

Hi Stevie, mine is short too I think that's how it's meant to be. Mine was pooping off too, Turns out the plug cap needed a nip with some pliers because it wasn't gripping the plug top very well. only took a minute. Yeah it's totally normal for the fan to keep coming on. Hope this helps.

+++ Sorry this post was assuming when you said "popping off" I thought engine just sputter and die at weird times, not just lead falling off Spark Plug boot/connector... +++ My bad for misreading.

Any gasgas, honestly, you should inspect wires (and for any other lose fasteners of course) and especially ground wires, under the fuel tank once in a while. When you do, your are looking for corrosion or loose bolt to frame with probably 2 or 3 wires on it. On my 2010/11/12's, this bolt with grounds on it, also hold I believe is the rectifier, and it is really close to headstock where the ground bolt is... Sorry, I'm not recalling if same for just slightly older bikes, like yours. also I bought a 07, 250, and I believe the former owner is the reason, but behind the flywheel, the "windings" (aka Stator) that give electricity, the 3 bolts that held that in place were loose, which caused erratic, if any spark.

Also if it has ever gotten wet but not dried out, inside where the flywheel is, you need to pull the flywheel, and you will want to clean rust off magnets with plastic scrubbing pad that kind of replaced steel wool, cant think of the name of that stuff, clean everything (except do NOT hurt the insulation on any wire in there, including the windings on the coils of the stator). I spray a coat of wd40 just before I replace the flyweel and gaskets on flywheel. Make sure the breather tube is breathing, and slight amount of silicone on the outside of the wire bundle into that flwheel area, helps keeps water out. Pressure washing without care, and if you aim at wires bundle, you will get water behind the flywheel occasionally, silicone stopped this mostly for me.

also, I have dealt with bad (usually damaged by a flip or fall) kill switches. Kills switches are so cheap, ($15 us I think) why even fight that crap, replace if it is hit hard enough to damage it, or is missing the rubbers that seal out moisture and stuff.

Edited by sting32

"GO phuckYOURSELF b40, just tell everyone to ignore the problem or tape over it."

so water board me.

"ignore the problem" Not a problem unless your riding over 13000 ft -- 0.001% of trials population.

"tape over" still seems like good advice !

Over to you Sr Expert (expert, ex - a has been. spurt - a drip under pressure)

Edited by b40rt

Hey StevieGasGas,

Welcome to trials and to Trials Central.

Yep the fan should cycle on and off periodically, if the fan stays on or stays off then you will have a problem.

Sounds like if you give the HT lead a little squeeze with some pliers it should tighten up the end of the lead onto the sparkplug.

Ride it and have fun!!