I've Finally Gone And Done It

felixdamouse

well guys after doing alot of reading and hunting around i have finally bought myself a trials bike... a 2010 beta evo 250. I picked it up from manchester and it feels really good, its in excellent condition with alot of aftermarket parts fitted. pics are attached)

as a noob to trials i have a few questions (as a motocross rider i know a fair bit about maintenance etc however i'm needing some pointers with the trials side)

1, How often should i drop the gearbox oil from the bike and what oil should i use? i currently use elf fully synthetic moto oil is this suitable?

2, what tyre pressures should i be running for general use?

3, regarding premix are fully synthetic the oil to use and what ratio i.e 50:1

4, how long will a full fuel tank last 2.5 ltrs (roughly) an hour or 5 hours?

5, are pistons replaced regularly if so how often (i presume not very regularly due to lower average rpm?)

i apologise for the list of noob questions but i am a total rookie at trials. any other advice regarding the sport would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

post-18003-0-71962100-1365617045_thumb.jpgpost-18003-0-28959400-1365617788_thumb.jpg

I would drop the oil from the bike every 3-4 'longer rides' (a trial). The oil you want to use should be fine.

If you are in the mud run 4psi in the front and 3psi in the back. On rocks up each one by 2 psi.

Fuel should last a good few hours if not ridden like an mx bike!

Pistons are rarely needed to be changed on the bigger bore bikes (250 on) but change it when you loose compression.

Clean and oil your air filter every ride!

Good luck and welcome!

Ben

Edited by shercoben12
  • Like 1

good work - even if the kicker is on the wrong side ;-]

the elf is too thick in my opinion - good for the ktm though. putoline light gear oil for me in the gasser. I have an hr meter on my bike and do the gear oil every 10 hrs. I use 50:1 castrol power 1 2t oil from moto-oil.com good deals on bulk buys.

have fun.

Nice bike dude, I had a look at an EVO, but have just gone for a 2008 Raga Gas Gas. The Beta is probably the prettier bike though. I hope you enjoy the bike though, looks like a good one to learn on, nice and easy to ride, no excuses!

Welcome to the forum from another noobey.