Ty175 Kickstarter - Is It Bent?

badmotofo

Please see the attached photos. I believe that some component of my kickstarter is not right. I know this bike is pushing 40 years old and most of its life is a mystery to me but I find it unlikely that the solid steel kickstarter is bent. But it looks to me that this is the case. Other 175 owners -- Does you kicker fall out as far as mine does? Does it sit as far out from the bike in the 'normal' position as mine does?

Thanks,

post-8354-0-77254000-1365795392_thumb.jpg

post-8354-0-78903700-1365795409_thumb.jpg

post-8354-0-02934000-1365795421_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

The lever is bent at the pivot. I have 3 of these bikes and they all bend with time. If you keep them running well you only need a smooth 1 or 2 kicks. Back fire or kicking over and over, not taking the free play out before kicking all make it bend more. I ride the AHRMA events Cal. OR. and WA. and countless hours of practice and mine has been bent back into shape about every 2 to 3 years. I put them in my floor press support it so the bent part is up press slowly with the lever cold until it is how it should be.The foot lever will tuck in to the pipe and will be in line with the pegs. I have done this to at least 5 levers and 3 of my bikes several times and have not broke one yet.The levers are very weak. A easy starting bike will make it last longer. They bend back easy and have not got much weaker as I can tell. I would like to fit one of the WR 200 levers as shown on this site if I could find one .

btc273: Judging from the photo, albeit small, but I see the GoPro, the location and the three 175s, I presume this is Barry. Thanks for the info. I still need to arrange to meet up with someone with a press. Hope to see you again at Pt. Arena or some other AHRMA trials in 2014.

This is Barry, good to hear from you I thought it was you from your location and club. Looking forward to Point Arena again this year. I enjoyed visiting with you and your son. Since July I purchased a 2012 Sherco 290 trials bike and have begun to ride events with the COTA club and PST here in the northwest. I have been learning some of the modern techniques, way different than vintage, but still some of the techniques apply. I have posted some videos, links on the AHRMA site, also under my name on the internet. I am not sure if I should say the name, but you can type in my name and videos from Point Arena are there as well as others. Recent developments on 175 kick starters...just today I located and ordered a kick starter for a 1992 WR200 Yamaha that others on this site have used. They say it was back ordered but will be in in a week or so. I will let you know how it fits. On a side note, my son-in-law also rides a 175 like my spare bike. I took him out Christmas day to our (secret trials training center) and as luck would have it, his kick starter broke! So, we will be repairing that one the same way as the update on my bike. Will let you know how it goes. Keep in touch. Barry

• 11 months later...

Hope you have it fixed by now (one year later).

They are quite flexible, and can be bent easily with a

3 foot long pair of pipe grips.. Stilsons, holding the

part in a hefty bench vice.... No heat required.

Yours seems to be bent at the root, about one inch from the pivot.

Merry Xmas and a Happy 2015... Feet-Up..

I did finally come across a large piece of pipe with a wide enough diameter to slip over and bend it back into place.

My next task to figure out a way to make my TY250 and my TY175 with 250 forks stop. Both front brakes work at around 30% of what they should. I have found this to be quite a disadvantage competitively!