Bloody Bike

shipdamite

this ty is begining to really p*** me off.

ok.

running ok, clutch now sorted but having had a new piston and l.e.b put in it sounds noisier than the worn one.

rattle rattle rattle.

fine on idle then rattley when loaded.

help

before I torch the thing.

Engine noises can be hard to figure out, sometimes rattles are thrust, the cylinder might not be aligned with the crank and the piston can knock from side to side or the crank can move around

But heck like was mentioned, old 2 strokes just clatter, what makes you think you can stop it LOL

• Like 2

Hi, with the engine cold start it up and grab around the barrel with both hands and get somebody to rev the engine. If it sounds better then get some heat resistant tube and stick it between the fins. My mates TY175 did sound like a bag of old nails after he rebored it but it got better the more he ran it, it now sounds fine.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Thank you all for your replies.

I have very little personal experience of 2 stroke trials engines and what I have is limited to hearing a friends brace of bultacosauruses and his son's rtx, together with local trials. Other ty's I have heard all sound rattley but I am concerned that mine sounds worse than it did originally - I will come back to this in a minute.

I tried Andy's suggestion, and hands on the cylinder and head did make a difference and I will find out some heat proof rubber block or pipe and install some as deadening; I seem to remember that suzuki x7's etc had this fitted as standard.

I have also seen this done with aluminium tubing.

Anyway - today saw me up early with the ty stripped down. basically, the new little end bearing had more of a rattle when shaken in the hand than the old one....... who was it that once said 'never trust new parts'?

so, zipped back together using the old L.E.B and the bike sounds like it did before the new piston.

hopefully, with another new L.E.B and Andy's method of sound deadening it should be quieter again.

bimbled around the back yard on it hopefully getting a bit better on it - been spoilt by the ease of riding the gasser.

thanks again for your input.

Andrew

Edited by shipdamite

Aircooled RD250/400's have the fin rubbers fitted as standard. They do cut down a bit of the rattle and high frequency vibration. Heres some similar Suzuki ones on ebay. You might also get some from Yambits.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Suzuki-Fin-Cylinder-Head-Barrel-Rubber-Pad-/251251148085?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a7fbc4535

I have a TY175 and a number of RD's. As Mattylad mentioned, if you run on original Yamaha pistons & rings then they run much quieter. Most people are now used to hearing motors with water cooling and that makes the engine a lot quieter. I have just sold my Powevalve Yam and thats watercooled. When I jump off that and ride one of the Aircooled RD's or my TY they sound like they are about to fall apart.

They are in a low state of tune and and the old engines had fairly lose tolerences, so as others have said, just ride it.

Cheers for the linky Tog.

The bore is at max overbore, will try and find another barrel before using a yam piston; also not entirely sure that yam made them to the max overbore (although I havent checked this yet)

getting a new L.E.B on weekend, so this will help in the meantime, as will some damping.

Thanks,

Andrew