Beta 125 Clutch Stuck On

carltonave

Just purchased a 2006 Beta 125 for my son to learn to ride on, he and I have zero knowledge of trials.

The bike had been standing for some time prior to our purchase, having ridden it we have found the clutch to be inoperative (will immediately set off when a gear is selected, will stall if the brakes are applied even with the clutch lever fully applied).

I've searched the forum and realise this is a common issue sometimes cured by following the sticky clutch mod and/or bleeding the clutch

My question is do the symptoms we're experiencing (stalling when brakes applied) sound likely as a result of being left to stand or should I fear something worse?

I've tried running the bike in gear while on a stand and applying the rear brake harshly in an attempt to 'free' the clutch to no avail, any thoughts gratefully received..

Rock the bike back and forth in 4th or fifth. Start it vback in nuetral. Make sure you have room to ride. If is still stuck ,ride around with the clutch in a apply the brakes for about ten minutes. If that don`t work ,try a small wheelie with the clutch pulled in. Good Luck!!!

Sometimes it takes awhile for the clutch to free off.Have you checked the condition of the oil in the gearbox,or changed it yet,i know mine in used to drag,when i first bought it,Now i change the oil, regular,and have no problems now.

Hi. I have had this problem on the three Betas I have had including my new 250 Evo.If after riding around with the clutch pulled in for a few minutes does not free it. You need to drain the gear box oil and remove the clutch plates. Clean them up then lightly sand them and re fit. Put in 425ml of ATF then try it. Please dont let this put you off the bike as they are brilliant when the clutch is sorted.

Thanks for the advice, 15 minutes of wobbling around an obliging friend's paddock freed the clutch up. Still sticks occasionally and can drag intermittently so will change the oil and dress the plates as suggested.

On a positive note after an hours practice the lad is tackling ever tighter turns and the occasional (small) log. I think he's getting interested :thumbup:

Free it off by just riding it for ten mins - point the bike in a safe direction, push off and tap into gear. Ride around until it frees off.

Once free ride as normal until you have had enough. Get home and change the gear box oil for Putoline Nano Trans oil. One litre will last you a year so it work out ok cost wise and you will not have clutch issues again.

I used to use atf and light gear oil but always had issues with sticking. Nano trans has solved all of the issues with an oil change (for pukka stuff) and not using what is essentially power steering fluid.

I have not had to do the clutch mod, sand anything or strip my gear box/clutch to make it work right - I just changed the oil for the right stuff.