Montesa/bultaco

scot taco

How does a 1980 Montesa 349 compare with the big bore Sherpa T from 1980? Having never been on a Montesa I,m curious if they,re both good,just different and if one is easier to ride for a not so good rider(me).They did a comparison in CDB,but it didn,t seem fair to compare the Montesa with a Puma Sherpa T.

If you mean the white wonder 349, it is quite a good bike and a better thing than the first model (red) 349, which I would have called the 1979 model, mainly due to the white wonder having a shorter wheelbase. Both 349s are quite different to ride when compared with a late model 325 Sherpa T and a lot of why people like one and hate the other can be attributed to personal taste. The Montesa has an absolute killer motor but to me feels like it takes more effort to ride (compared to the Bultaco, and the 348 Cota).

A lot can be done to either bike to make it behave any way you want and so yes, to compare a standard 349 with a Puma Bultaco is not very fair.

Seeing you asked specifically, I would say that as far as standard bikes go, the Bultaco 325 would be the easier to ride of the two, and a 250 (238) Bultaco is easier again to ride for an intermediate level rider.

• Like 3

If you mean the white wonder 349, it is quite a good bike and a better thing than the first model (red) 349, which I would have called the 1979 model, mainly due to the white wonder having a shorter wheelbase.

I always thought the original red 349 was better than the white wonder as I thought it was the white wonder that was longer... I've no experience of either, just what I'd heard / read.

The final 349 with kicked up swingarm was a very good bike with only a dodgy Montesa clutch and gear selector as a negative. Nice chassis, quick steering, light on the front to enable you to place it easily and one hell of an engine.

I've seen pictures of Rathmell's white works bike that was fitted with the kicked up swingarm - sign of things that were to come

The white wonder is definitely shorter than the early red model ( about 37mm or so ). I've built

one up using a later banana swing arm, had the footpegs lowered and it steers and rides

really well...

As Woody has already mentioned the clutch is probably the worst aspect of the bike, they drag,

no matter what type of oil you use and being quite small in diameter sometimes struggle in the

taller gears.

As.to what they're like compared to a large bore Bultaco, I'd imagine they would be fairly similar

but I've never ridden one, over to you Woody.

I have always liked the looks of them.It seems that when I look at pics on the web of twinshock events in the UK and Spain there never seems to be many Montesas.I thought that I had a deal worked out to trade for a red one,but it fell through.I think if I would have offered up the 199a he would have traded,but I haven,t even had it to a trial yet and it,s the one I,ve always wanted so it,s not going anywhere.

Thanks for the replies.