Clutch Basket Rubbing Casing

admacp

My clutch basket (the bolts holding the basket together) appear to be rubbing away the inside of my clutch casing - any ideas what could be causing it. Also, is there a special tool for taking off the bolts? :lol:

Are all of the bolts tight? Does it only happen when you dis-engage the clutch maybe it could be pushing out too far? Have you had the clutch apart? How do you know it is rubbing, are the marks on the inside of the cover? maybe the noise is coming from somewhere else. Just use a 8mm spanner to get the botls out, if they are tight you might need to hold the basket still.

It is a 280 pro 2004 model. I have recently bought it and the previous owner had fitted a new clutch. There was a kind of ticking noise coming from the clutch side of the engine. I opened it up and noticed that the strengthening ribs on the clutch cover (gold coloured cover - magnesium I think?) were being rubbed away. It looks like the bolts holding the clutch basket may be the cause.

Any ideas as to why the whole assembly is travelling out too far? I have been reading various posts about measuring the clutch pack and using various thickness of washers to obtain the right thickness - could that be the problem and where do these washers go?

admacp, there is a bolt deep in the recess of the clutch hub (right in the center). It's a 4mm hex head bolt, as I remember. Stick your hex head socket down the center of the clutch hub and you will find it. By removing it, you can remove the whole clutch pack as a complete assembly (without actually removing plates). If this comes loose, it can allow the clutch to float and may rub the cases. If the previous owner had it apart, it is conceivable that he forgot to tighten, or even replace this bolt, as it is kind of hidden and easily forgot.