New Thermostat And Still Not Working

gazzaecowarrior

Since buying my little 05 125 the fan has not kicked in when the engine has warmed up. IM not new to beta so i by passed the thermostat and the fan kicks in. So i presumed it must be the thermostat. Just fitted the new thermostat and still no joy. Ran it to the point the bike was going to boil and still no action. I am puzzled as i was certain a new thermostat would fix it. What could be wrong ? Could there be a blockage in my rad ? Help. Ive just tested the circuitry of the old thermostat in a cup of hot water with a volt meter and it does work.

there cant be much wrong with it .. is the water getting up to temp. as i remember all you do is whip the wires off stat and join them together to test the fan and if it works its the stat.. if the stat is working via a boiling water test all is good mechanically..

so the stat is not getting hot enough insitu.. if you ve run it for 10 mins and the fan dont come on then the stats sat in an air pocket and not water..is the pump working??

there cant be much wrong with it .. is the water getting up to temp. as i remember all you do is whip the wires off stat and join them together to test the fan and if it works its the stat.. if the stat is working via a boiling water test all is good mechanically..

so the stat is not getting hot enough insitu.. if you ve run it for 10 mins and the fan dont come on then the stats sat in an air pocket and not water..is the pump working??

Thanks for the response. Just drained out all the coolant. Put an airline through the drain hole and blew through the radiator cap and then the thermostat hole in case any gunk was blocking. Then refilled. Ran for ten mins. Still no action. Surely it should have kicked in by then. Is there a simple way of checking the pump is working without taking off the pump housing ?

My method of diagnosing stuff like this is to do it all with the bike

When the thermal switch is on the bench all you can tell is the switch works on the bench

So, get hold of an infra red temp gun, they are easy to find now a days

Run the motor and test the temp of the rad and or head exactly where the switch is

Leave your ohm meter connected to the switch while you do it

If the switch does not get to the temp it is intended to switch at then you learn something

If it switches but the fan does not come on then you learn something

The bike is the best place to test this stuff

Good luck

• Like 1

Oh, to test coolant flow:

Drain the coolant out

Replace with water

Take the output side hose (the on to the top side of the rad) and point it at your buddy

Run the bike and it should pump all the water out rather quickly

Drain the coolant out

Replace with water

Take the output side hose (the on to the top side of the rad) and point it at your buddy

Thanks for that. Will give it a go

Drain the coolant out

Replace with water

I took off the hose on top of the cylinder head as it was easier to get too. Water did come out but it was more if a ouze than a fountain. Put my finger over it and could feel some pressure. My mate thinks IM not letting it heat up enough. It is only ticking over for ten mins. Daren't not rev it too much or the neighbours complain. Should water be flying out of this hose when disconnected? Also how many minutes on idol should the fan kick in ? All my other bikes have kicked in within ten mins

Edited by gazzaecowarrior

check power to stat and fan directly and everything works, 10 mins at tickover in the cool temps we had probably not enough, ie the rad is cooling the tickover generated heat (its doing its job)

probably all ok.

told you gaz :)

I took off the hose on top of the cylinder head as it was easier to get too. Water did come out but it was more if a ouze than a fountain. Put my finger over it and could feel some pressure. My mate thinks IM not letting it heat up enough. It is only ticking over for ten mins. Daren't not rev it too much or the neighbours complain. Should water be flying out of this hose when disconnected? Also how many minutes on idol should the fan kick in ? All my other bikes have kicked in within ten mins

It's not going to squirt like a garden hose, coolant is kind of tricky

If it travels too fast it doesn't spend enough time in the rad and cannot be cooled, then the engine will overheat because it is ingesting hot water

I would route the coolant overflow hose so it's easy to see it blow off and just ride the bike

If you don't blow coolant you are not overheating and it won't harm the engine if you get it hot enough to blow coolant, just shut it off but look at the fan before you kill it

It's not going to squirt like a garden hose, coolant is kind of tricky

If it travels too fast it doesn't spend enough time in the rad and cannot be cooled, then the engine will overheat because it is ingesting hot water

I would route the coolant overflow hose so it's easy to see it blow off and just ride the bike

If you don't blow coolant you are not overheating and it won't harm the engine if you get it hot enough to blow coolant, just shut it off but look at the fan before you kill it

Ok. Thanks. Will give it a go and let you know