Clutch Cover Gasket Leaking *still*

feetup

I know there has been previous discussion on another thread regarding how to change the clutch cover gasket (the one that goes all the way around the water pump. The job seemed easy enough, only after replacing the broken gasket with a new one, it still leaked. To be specific, it deformed in several places, slipping substantially outside of the case cover. The first time I did this, I did not use any gasket glue, sealant, etc. After trying to repair the leak by re-seating, I realized I was going to have a hard time because the gasket was no longer perfect in shape; however I did use a high-tak glue to try to keep the gasket in place. No luck. I've ordered a new gasket from Ron Commo, but I just wanted to see if anyone could offer any further advice on how to do this correctly. It's a pain in the neck! Somethings I'm wondering are:

am I overtightening the bolts causing the cover to pinch the gasket too far inside or outside?

would landing on the skid plate cause the rubber bumper to press the cover and cause a new leak?

Should I add anything other thank gasket glue to try to make this thing stay put?

The gasket I recieved is the one that has the blue stripe down the middle.. I don't think this is the same as the original gasket, which looked like paper (this one was clearly broken). The blue stripe one appears more durable, but I don't know if it is any more of a challenge to keep seated?

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints. The diagrams on the previous thread were very good and gave me the confidence to do the job on my own.

-rob

I have had to replace the gasket on a few bikes. The best luck I have had is to clean both surfaces of the cases with contact cleaner then spread a thin layer of silicone on both sides of a new gasket (the one without the blue stripe) and install carefully. If the gasket has the blue silicone stripe I just clean both cases with contact cleaner and install the new gasket.

Works for me. You are not alone with having to replace this gasket.

I managed to get a good seal with a (used and broken) clutch cover gasket using "locktite 515" on both sides of the gasket - I just made sure the faces where spotlessly clean first, then carefully tightened diagonally opposite bolts a little at a time, making sure I pushed the gasket back into place if it started to sneak out (particularly around the kick starter area). I left it to set for 1/2 an hour before putting the oil in and riding. It has lasted for for 15 hours of riding now. I am about to replace it with a new gasket which has just arrived (the paper type).

I think my gasket failure was caused by a leaking water pump seal?? I certainly had coolant in the oil and vica versa. Presure from the cooling system maybe? But then it would blow out the gearbox vent tubes wouldn't it???. I have noticed a few of my mates 05 250's have weeping (but not leaking) clutch cover gaskets. Anyone got any thoughts on why the gaskets go west? It looks like I have a few to do

Thanks guys

Rob W

Seems like, even last time, a few people suggested pressure in the gearbox..so check those breather pipes are clear.

ALSO..as I said in the last chat on this, I THINK the paper gasket is better..(just my own VERY humble opinion)..the one with the blue bit in it, just would not work for me.

I only used tiny dabs of silicon here and there to hold it in place, and it has worked...but if I ever do it again, I will probably be more generous with the silicon, like these guys have suggested.

Its not a job I wanna do TOO often!...

anyway...just try again..good luck :lol::D

OK Stu now I get it....I should do a search and look at the last thread on this. Bit thick are we aussies. :lol: Thanks mate - always appreciate your comments and enthusiasm. :D Searching now

Rob W

When I got my bike I replaced the water pump shaft and seal and so had to replace the gasket aswell. I used a razor blade to scrape off any remaining bits of gasket which stuck to the cases. I didn't use any grease or silicone to stick it into place, I just used the locator pin things. I also didn't over tighten the bolts too much. i have had no problems with it in six months.

If the gasket is slipping out up by the kickstart, it is been caused by the sump plate rubber, you need to take it out and using a stanley knife cut off the top most raised profile at the back of the rubber, which touches the casing. It would also probably help 2 re-shape the sump plate whilst you have it off.

New gasket arrived today, I will attempt to replace it tomorrow taking extra care to clean the surfaces w/ contact cleaner (which I did not do before hand). I'll also try using some type of gasket glue like hi-tak or something to help stick it in place better. Lastly, I'll wait a good number of hours before filling the case with gear oil (again, I did not do this last time, I just filled her up right away). I'll take a look at the skid plate rubber and see if there are any obvious areas that I can shave material where it might exert pressure.

Do any of you have any thoughts on how tight I should be bearing down on the bolts once the new gasket is in place? I don't know the torque specs for these bolts. Also, I assume after a warm-up ride, it would be good to re-check these no?

thanks again for all the suggestions.

-rob

• 2 weeks later...

following up on my last post...

the problem appears to be resolved. I think the secret is to use the PAPER gasket! this one doesn't deform like the rubber/silicone gasket, and has not leaked since.

thanks for all the help/advice.

-robert

when building old Britsih bike engines, which do have quite a few problems with oil leaks.........

chris-harley friends of mine repeatedly point out those are not oil leaks, the bikes just ooze charisma everywhere. kcj

• 4 years later...

Can gaskets be replaced with Loctite case sealant? ( 574, 510 or 5910 )

I mean gearbox and clutch gaskets. In cilinder head is probably too hot for sealant.

And for old gasket I read in Loctite site that you can use it again (if it is not broken..) when you put a bit of 5203 case sealant. Is this a good idea?

Samo