Tys125f Mods

james111089

Hi James,

I think thats cheap for one.

Don't reckon you'll lose much in a year (if anything). Another advantage of the little Scorpa is the bulletproof engine, so I reckon secondhand prices of 2-3 year old Scorpa 125's will stabalise and not depreciate too much.

Going to keep mine at least another year, seen nothing else that appeals !!

cheers

John.

What gearbox sprocket are you guys on?. I bought mine with a 10 tooth on, then fitted the standard 11 tooth for observing at the Scottish but found it to be a bit quick in 1st for my mediocre skills in the sections.

The clutch on mine has been modded (by the previous owner) by lengthening the acuating arm on the engine by about 10mm, changing the cable angle to suit and shortening the pushrod to take account of the increased travel. I reckon its a smoother clutch than my Rev 3.

He also tried fitting the 17.5 pilot jet but couldn't get it to run right. I checked it out and the jet he had been given was bigger in diameter than the correct one, 2.5mm as opposed to 2mm, and it had distorted trying to fit it.

Hi James,

I think thats cheap for one.

Don't reckon you'll lose much in a year (if anything). Another advantage of the little Scorpa is the bulletproof engine, so I reckon secondhand prices of 2-3 year old Scorpa 125's will stabalise and not depreciate too much.

Going to keep mine at least another year, seen nothing else that appeals !!

cheers

John.

Just out of intrest how many kicks does your bike take to start from cold when its been sat for a few days?

Mine normally takes about 6

is there a tenique?

or is it just getting the fuel drawn through?

James

Hi James

Mine normally takes about 6 kicks too. Don't worry.

I put full choke on, no throttle and kick. The advantage is you dont need to kick hard !

I normally leave for 10 minutes to warm up (with the usual comments of 'is that the generator on - is there a sewing machine here - blah blah !!)

Once warmed up, always starts first kick.

cheers

John.

• 3 weeks later...
its just (i havent got it warm properly yet) it ticks over fine when i hop the front alot i can stall it .

does it need more fuel at low revs now??

It still does it when its warm?

do you think the carb mod will stop this if i do it?

what else could cause it?

the bark out the exhaust is sweet, people think its a 250.

james

I collected the very first Scorpa 125 in the country and I have to say that those early bikes were seriously disappointing - most people expected a Scorpa 250 with a 125F motor - what you got was a load of cheap parts and the 125 motor. There was a good bike underneath there somewhere but it just got a bit lost. I've tried most of the tweeks and mods and yes you can get the bike transformed into a serious trials bike - more than good enough for the average clubman or schoolboy. Some mods just don't work (if anyone wants to buy a Mikuni Flatside please let me know!) and the racing CDI does nothing, revs about 500rpm more but produces no power there anyway, so don't bother.

We run a std carb 105 main with a 250 airbox / subframe / rear mudguard (1.2kg weight saving) racing CDI (again if anyone wants one....) and about 450g machined off the flywheel. We still have one restrictor left in the baffle 'cos it just sounds awfull without it, had new baffles made in alloy and use lighter weight packing (saving another 250g). Anyone getting hold of one for

I know the question wasn't at me, but mine was one of (but not the) first. I got mine in October 03.

Would buy another one tomorrow, but mine feels 'just run in' !

Love the bike, but steer clear of the '175' (143cc).

cheers

John.

Main reason - (and only my opinion !)

I don't think the extra cost is reflected in extra performance, or a bike which will improve a riders results over a 'bog standard' TY125, with a few minor tweaks.

I dont doubt a class bike, and if the build quality and reliability is anything like mine, you won't go wrong - just not sure on the extra value for the extra cost.

cheers

John.

We always run a reasonable amount of idle speed on ours - just because its a four stroke theres no need to let it plod like a diesel - a reasonable idle speed covers a multitude of carburation sins, obviously reduces stalling and gives you much better throttle response from a closed throttle position. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Yep i really enjoyed my ride in the wainright. As far i know the bike i rode had the baffles removed from the exaust, a different jet in (dont know what number) and geared down, apart from that it was standard.

Birks did actually lower the idle speed and i had no problems with stalling it mind you i am used to riding a TLR.

Started fifth kick from cold then first kick every time after that.

Excellent bike, no hiccups all day and good smile factor