Best Sprocket Combination T 350 For Slow Tricky Sections

davdeborg

hi

as stated in previous posts I am a total novice when it comes to bultaco as always been a yam man.

any advice on best sprocket combination how many teeth front and back for nice slow tricky sections

I will not be riding on road.

any advice appreciated

cheers

It's subjective. What one person finds ideal is too low or high for someone else.

If you're fitting all new chain / sprockets just try the standard gearing which should give you a low enough 1st gear - 11 : 46

Unless you're riding a modern expert route, you're not going to come across a section that has turns too tight for the bike to go round without clutching in a club classic trial

I finished a two day last weekend. I was having trouble with the tight sections.(My clutch cable had broke) After the first loop I started to check out the gearing. I was running 13 and 46. My riding buddy had 12 and 46, and had been doing quite better in the sections. We compared thoughts and agreed the 11t might even be the best choice. Both of us had 199`s and we compete on modern bikes in the same class. You can always ride a section in second gear, but with people setting sections for clutch work it is best to have the low gearing in the first place.

i agree with lineaway , most later twinshocks have 5 some even 6 gears so making that 1st ultra low shouldnt be an issue..however a couple of caveats .. too big a rear sprocket and it ll spin up very easy too low a front sprocket and it ll be pulling wheelies everywhere.. balance is the key 11 seems about right on the front and 46 good for the back.

Mmmh, I personal like the 11 / 39 gearing best, might be not very slow but the pic-up = acceleration is "OK" as the engine doesn't pick up revs very fast in need.

And of course you won't hit any stone as easy with a smaller sprocket at the rear.

Certainly in thight sections you might be in the situation to pull the clutch ...

Anyway the Sherpa likes some speed then the bike rides easier in my obeservation likewise the frame setup isn't build for these very thight section when it goes straight ahead over rocks, stones, trees and steps the bike performes quite well, also in soft and slippery conditions.

But it's your riding style and your bike so you have to figure out by yourself what is more important.

• Like 2

11 / 44 is what I have on my M92 and yes, it is too high. I didn't realise you could get them and I don't remember buying it, but I've just found a 10 tooth front sprocket in my box of bits so I've fitted that with the 44 rear. I've yet to try it, but I'd rather keep the rear sprocket a small as possible.

13 / 46 is much too high for trials riding. 12 / 46 wouldn't work well either in what I'd call proper trials sections.

For reasons I don't understand, although 11 / 39 is standard for the last A model bikes, it would make my M92 unrideable in most sections as the gearing would be way too high. I don't understand why it doesn't feel like that on the 199a when the gears apart from 1st, are the same... ??

Hightown, I'm no engineer or gearing expert so the actual ratios people are quoting don't mean anything to me...

11/39 is standard for your bike so it isn't incorrectly geared, but as with most things it comes down to personal preference. Although it's standard gearing for my 199b as well, I find it a little high so sometimes use 1 or 2 more teeth on the rear, but, I only use the clutch when things go tits up or are very tight, so it's geared so I can ride most stuff without the clutch in bottom gear.

That's about all I can tell you, it's down to you really, your riding style and the type of sections you ride in