Filter Oil?

j__h

I have just bought a 2006 Scorpa SY250, the user manual does not indicate a type of filter oil, let alone that any should be used.

All that I have found about the filter maintenance in the manual is:

>Defective air filter elemnet must be replaced.

>Clean air filter element with solvent. Remove remaining solvent by squeezing the element. Apply

>lithium soap base grease on the matching surface (A).

>NB : If the air filter box is dirty, clean it before.

I come from trail riding and you absolutely must oil the air filter well to protect the engine from dust, so the question is for the SY250 do I really only apply the lithium grease to the mating surface? Or do I use some filter oil as well, and if so what type?

For the trail bikes I ussualy use this stuff: maxima FFT: http://www.amazon.co...6/dp/B002305YJ2 or NoToil

maybe I need some thinner stuff for the SY250?

EDIT:

I found the more advanced search function and found some info, apparently some argue to not oil the filter... I think I would like to hear that argument, but it appears one should oil it at least lightly. Any opinions on this?

http://www.trialscen...50/#entry312899

http://www.trialscen...ir +filter +oil

Edited by j__h

This all makes sense. That manual is terrible for not mentioning to use oil.

One last question, does one need to use the lithium grease to help seal the interface, it is something that I have not had to do on other bikes as the interface well sealed without any grease.

I tried the most of the "Special" foam filter oils. Even tried some "spray on" foam filter specific type filter oil on my V65 Sabre. Lost five miles per gallon of gas. The stuff was so thick nothing could get through it. Might as well painted it with tar. If my 1100cc V4 with four carbs can't suck air through that stuff just think how little air is probably getting through to your 250cc Trials engine using that paste! So I tossed the stuff and went back to using a lighter oil and it was right back at 45 mpg. 60,000 miles and 28 years and I'm still grinning when I smack that throttle.

I've use pretty much the same stuff, be it Mobil 1 5w30 or Valvoline Synpower 5w20, or Amzoil 2 stoke or what ever I have left over in all five machines I own. I've used them on my Sabre, my Kawasaki Concours, my Kawasaki Brute Force, four Yamaha TY's, a Reflex, two Fantics, a Beta, three different GAS GAS's, and now my Montesa and my Scorpa. The trick is to just get the filter moist so the dirt sticks to it, but you don't want it dripping or gooped up. It also helps to clean it pretty regularly. You can look at the filter and tell if it needs cleaned. Then the truth is in looking inside the air filter box with a flash light and seeing if there are any particulates in there when ever you clean your filter.

THAT is also why you SHOULD grease the mating surfaces where the plastic meets the filter. This ensures a more particulate tight fit should there be any irregularities in the mating surfaces. Again, like the oil, I don't think it makes a lot of difference what sort of grease you use, as long as you do grease them.

One last thing. I've discovered the hard way that using solvents or gasoline to clean them can damage foam air filters, especially the ones that have glued seams. I've gone to using Dawn dishwasing liquid and fairly warm water. The dawn really cuts the grease and grime, while being gentle on your filter and your delicate hands! Let it dry over night, oil it up with that little bit of the 10w40 Pennzoil you have left in the bottle after you changed the oil in your lawnmower, squeeze out the excess, grease the mating surfaces, install the dude and go riding. If you do this, it'll be as good as you can get it.

Edited by ridgrunr

"Thoroughly wash the element in clean non-flammable

cleaning solvent, then wash in a solution of hot water

and dish-washing liquid soap.

Apply engine oil to the element, and squeeze out excess

oil.

Clean the inside of the air cleaner housing."

This is from the official Montesa manual.

I found the bigger problem was keeping dirt away from the filter in the first place.

The standard set up is poor,you'll need to silicone the airbox where it touches the subframe and i would suggest foam or thick double sided tape round the top of the subframe.

Leave a gap so it will only draw air from the front.

Also seal up the silencer/airbox gap with duct tape and any other obvious gaps as well..

Have look at other Scorpas and see what there owners have done.

I found filter oil wasn't much good after I had a couple of inches of water in the airbox..