Gears

bondy

hello guys just need some addvice. my gears on my 198A are stiff first is easy to slect 2nd is ok once the bike is inmotion 3thd gose in ok but cluncks and 4th and 5th abit stif. the oil hadnt been changed for awhile i think when i drained it it was black and like water so ive put new oil in castrol 80/90 but still the same. now when i try to put the gears in when the bike is not runing seems to be alot easyer. please dont tell me i have to split the engin. but if need to be i sopose it will have to be done hope not. :wall:

Hi Bondy. You could try pulling your primary case off and checking the shift pawls and everything in the top of the shift drum is free and working as it should. I would also give it some time on that oil and then change it again. Graham.

hi guys thanks for your replies. yes i changed the clutch oil with the recomended oil the guy i bought it of put a new primarry chain testioner on it so may be he did somthing its worth a check. i spoke to inmotion. and has you say bullylover they said try changing the oil agan becaus it was like pee and black. i no the guy said he fluched the gear box out with pirfin. ive riden the bike a few times so ill change the oil again then if no difrant ill pull the clutch cover off .and have alook. another thing i didnt mention when going from 2nd gear to 3thd somtimes it gose into Neutral if you have anymore ideas guys keep them coming thanks again :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

hi guys to the primarry clutch case off and took the clutch basket off took gear slecter off prawls look ok go ive checked the clutch plates look worn but not to bad i have new frition plates but there for my 199B when i can be botherd. dont think the clutch would make the gears stiff only thing i can think off is am using the wrong oil or theres a problem in side.

hi guys looks like am going to have to strip all my hard work the engin needs spliting so am going ot make a wooden frame first to sit the engin on it side to keep evrrything in place. i have spare gear box. ill keep you all postes and upload photos.

• Like 1

Have you checked the selector shaft isn't bent.

Take the clutch case off and ride it around the garden and see how it selects. If it selects ok then your shaft is bent on the clutch side. It's not going to damage anything riding it briefly with no oil

If it's still difficult to select gears take the shaft out of one of your bikes that selects gears ok and try that. If it selects ok with that shaft your original shaft is bent on the ignition side.

If it's still difficult to select and your selector drum and pawls all look ok then you're going to have to strip it and look inside. I'm assuming you've had it apart already and the gears aren't rusted up on their shafts..

You could have tar in the gearbox and it wouldn't cause the problem you're describing, never mind the wrong oil. Also, the condition of the clutch won't make any difference as the gears will select very well without the clutch when riding.

another thing tats never happend on other bultaco i have is i took the gear shaft out and loads off gear oil came out the hole off the gear shaft? i only put 550ml of oil in there. any ideas why it would do this?

Hi Bondy. That is normal. Have a look where the gear shaft exits the case and then look where the gearbox drain plug is. There is not much height difference is there. I would be concerned if gear oil didn`t come out when I pulled the shaft out. Graham.

cheers guys i just panicked i had a 199A and i had the gear shaft out on it and that never leak oil so as long as its normal no worrys. ive not had chance to drain the clutch oil off yet to take the clutch cover off again may drain the gear oil off to stop it going all over the place. i do have a spare gear shaft off a 199A spare engin i have pluss the full gear box.