Dealer Service

kinky boots

I recently had the bike in at the local dealer for a few tidying up jobs doing. Its the dealer that I have always used, and have bought two bikes from there, plus had all the various jobs done.

In the past, whenever I've put the bike in for work doing, I've always awaited collecting it with eagerness, as it was like picking up a new bike. Above and beyond the work I had requested, she was always beautifully steam cleaned, chain lubed and greased, the carb tweaked (tickover and mixture I guess) to perfection, and a new sticker or two.

This time, however, I got the bike back in more or less exactly the same state as I'd left it in. Admittedly, all the work had been done as per my request, but none of the 'niceties' had been done. There was even a note on the job sheet saying that the chain needed greasing!! Surely it would have been easier for them to actually do it than it would to write it down?!?!

Am I expecting too much? I just felt a bit let down that the attention to detail of the past had gone. Yes, I got exactly what I paid for - but somehow that didn't make me feel good about the service.

Any thoughts? How does your local dealer operate?

Cheers

KB.

If thats the service you have had in the past its no surprise that you expect the same and could be even one of the factors why you choose that specific dealer. Your doing them the favour.

Go and tell them your not happy :D

going and telling them that you are not happy is one thing to do, or the best way i would say is to just keep quiet, they may have been really busy, next time you might get all of the goodies back, however, if you go to them shouting the odds then they may well just say "fine, do it yourself or travell a hundred miles to the next half decent dealer" (depending on where you live of course)

personally i wouldnt bother complaining.

especially seeing as though you have no grounds to complain on taking into account the fact that they did all that you asked of them

Above and beyond the work I had requested, she was always beautifully steam cleaned, chain lubed and greased, the carb tweaked (tickover and mixture I guess) to perfection, and a new sticker or two.

This seems to happen every time I fettle the bike for myself :D

You didn't get less this time, you got more the other times!

I suppose thats the case. I was just interested to know if the nice stuff was common place.

I've only ever used the one place, so I have nothing to compare with. As I say, its been normal practise up to now, but a lot of the guys that used to work there when I first got the bike have moved on, and the dealer focus is now more on MX than trials, and I was wondering if we were getting overlooked in favour of the more lucrative MX business.

But now that I know, I won't 'expect' the extras, and if I get them, then its a welcome bonus.

Cheers

KB.

going and telling them that you are not happy is one thing to do, or the best way i would say is to just keep quiet, they may have been really busy, next time you might get all of the goodies back, however, if you go to them shouting the odds then they may well just say "fine, do it yourself or travell a hundred miles to the next half decent dealer" (depending on where you live of course)

personally i wouldnt bother complaining.

especially seeing as though you have no grounds to complain on taking into account the fact that they did all that you asked of them

I go to Whites at Darlington so i was interested in Johnies comments.

However Al the Spanner graces my bike with his Gas Gas hands or he is willing to give you a lot of technical info if you require it to complete the job yourself. Obviously this is provided you purchased the bike from Whites in the first place as there are some grey imports in the area. I find that the rappor i have with Whites goes a long way in making my mind up where i will purchase my next bike from and where i will buy spares and service from. However it's always a fine line for the dealer to under promise and over deliver. It could be that they were short staffed the day your bike was in or they had a lot of other work dropped on them at the last minute. You have used them a number of times and been happy you could give them another try or say in a friendly manner have you stopped washing the bikes and greasing the chains now for a specific reason ?

If your totally unhappy GO TO WHITES just ask PERCE :D

Going and telling them your not happy is totally different to going in and shouting the odds. Any decent dealer should be prepared to listen to your greviances.

The quality of the service Kinky Boots has dropped from what he is used to. You have every right to complain, I would imagine the dealer would prefer that to taking your business elsewhere.

Good after sales service is what keeps loyal customers.

If you go get your hair cut and someone does a good job, you go back, now say that person has a day off and you go in again expecting the same cut and another person cuts your hair making a real pigs ear of it, your not pleased and may go somewhere else next time, when in fact the person who normaly does the good job did nothing wrong.

Same goes for this case, did the same person work on your bike? your work sheet should have the name of the tech working on your bike.

Also in most cases the dealer wants to know if your not pleased about any service, it also works the other way, and telling them that the extra little touches they do on your machine is why you prefer going to them for a service, sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it that matters.

• 2 weeks later...