Help! Difficulty Starting Gas Gas

chris 82

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned I've been racing motorcycles for 20 years (2 strokes) and have never had any problems starting my bike but this gas gas is a right pain! My brother in law has one as well and his is exactly the same!

Always make sure your always in neutral choke only when cold and try this...lean the bike against something on the left hand grip to keep it upright..stand on the left peg and give it a full kick from the top of the kick starter engagement.....you cant be lazy ,you have to kick it like you mean it...once you figure out what type of kick it takes to start it, you can do it without leaning it against anything...same idea only now standing on the bike and balancing with your left foot on the peg give the bike the same type of kick you did when it was leaning against something..I had a hell of a time starting mine at first..leaning the bike against something to learn what type of kick it took to start it really helped me...like you I rode enduro bikes for 15 years prior to trials...you don’t kick them like a your other bikes...totally different technique...once you get your technique down you'll be good...

Edited by squid_on_a_300

Trials bikes, because of their relatively high compression ratios, can be buggers to start. Dabster has a point, give the carb and ignition a going over and check to see if everything is in spec (timing, float height etc). To check whether it is the bike and not your technique get another Gasser rider (not your BIL) to try and start it. If he starts his own gasser without trouble and struggles starting yours it's probably the bike :D

I had trouble starting mine when I first got it. A friend recommended using the ball of my foot, rather than middle, and that does seem to add some leverage and speed to the kick. I'm not really sure if that made the difference, or if I just got the hang of it, but I don't have any trouble starting it now, hot or cold.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi darryl.

I've had recent trouble starting my 07 txt pro 250. Turns out it was the stator. I borrowed one which I knew worked and it fired up first kick. Was a lot of head scratching moments as sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. I'm sending my stator off for a rewind and all should be sorted.

I checked:

Engine cut out.

All earth cables and sanded the contacts.

Checked flywheel.

Compression.

Replaced Bart gear and idler. ((was shredded)

• 4 weeks later...

Tried a 250 Gas Gas and no easier to start than my 300. Short stroke before kicker hits peg is main problem. Tried a couple of Beta's and Gas Gas is now for sale. Gas Gas is a beautiful bike that is fun to ride, but the starting issue takes all the fun out of riding. Even with the left side kicker, the Beta's are a breeze to kick over. Oh well.