Trial Tyres? Michelin Vs Ircs Vs Dunlops Vs Pirellis?

ps1995

Hi there,

just wondering if anyone has any opinions on certain brands of trial tyres?

i currently run Michelin X-light which are getting on a bit and would like a fresh set for the winter ahead

the Pirellis seem very cheap compared to the Michelins, does that mean a drop in quality / grip?

let me know on your opinions,

Cheers

• Like 1

If your x lights are getting on a bit you have done well had one on from brand new and had the smallest pin hole on the side wall where the writing is had another lasted few trials and split, did find you can get some bike tyre seal and didnt have a problem them but tyre don't last long, standard Michelin are good had a lot of irc, apparently goldfren??? Or something like that ate fairly good

there are three "tiers" of trials tyres and pricing reflects this;

top tier are the x-light, x11, dunlop and IRC --> dunlops don't sell down south (presumably better on rock?), IRC sell really well down south due to performance on mud. x11 sell everywhere and x-lights cost a bit more and wear quicker but if you've the money to spend....

middle tier are Pirellis --> good for roadwork and enduros (some insist on trials tyres). anecdotally good on snow/ice (but i've not tried)

bottom tier --> anything cheap (mitas, vee rubber, etc) not really used for competition trials, maybe the odd pre65 rider, etc

not seen or heard of anyone using a golden tyre yet, could be very interesting. bridgestone tw24 has long since been discontinued.

I have found the IRC is best for the mud , and I have been using them on my 04 gas gas for many years, so when I bought my new beta I went for an IRC but it kept on going flat , I have been told that the tyre is to big to fit on the newer bikes and can not get a good seal, but is fine on the older bikes.